Chapter Twenty-Six

Shit.

       I ran around the living space I resided in, the small apartment-like structure only slightly becoming familiar. I'd just woken to the sound of my alarm, just got out of bed, and I felt sick as a dog. 

        Nearly the second I entered the bathroom, I was crouched down in front of the toilet. I hadn't expected morning sickness to set it just yet, but here I was.

       I'd been back at work for nearly a month now, nearing the four-and-a-half month mark. I hadn't gone home, not really wanting to have to deal with that again. Now, however, I was finding my tasks harder to complete. I was constantly light headed due to the constant words in front of me, the nonstop requests and meetings. I didn't want to work anymore, didn't want to have to wake up early and go to bed late every day.

       Groaning, I wiped my chin and stood, hitting the lever on the side and walking from the cramped restroom to the wonderful sound of flushing. I was growing worried, my stomach only minimally growing still. I had to remind myself that not every pregnancy consisted of a large belly, but it still made me wonder if something had happened when I'd nearly been strangled to death. Anything could have happened, anything could have hurt the baby. It worried me every day, knowing I should probably have gone home long ago.

       I grabbed my phone, quickly dialing Anthony's work cell. He answered fairly quickly and I was grateful, explaining the situation to him carefully. He seemed to understand, and I was glad to have such a competent secretary. 

       I wandered around the living space, deciding to leave my uniform out on the bed, and tucked a few things into my backpack. The trip to the portal was met with a few curious questions and a short explanation. The phrase 'maternity leave' left my lips more times than I could count, congratulations and wide eyes everywhere I turned. I grimaced as I walked into the portal chamber, walking up to the panel. 

        I didn't want them to know I was back until I'd had time to settle in and nap, so I made sure to set the coordinates to send me straight to my living room. 

       I was quickly met with my dark house, finding that a storm had been going on for the better part of the morning in our small town. Through the window, I could see that the Smith's were all in their living room. Not wanting to be creepy, I stopped watching through the window and shut the curtains. I didn't want them to see the lamp on as I went through the house. My stomach rumbled, but there wasn't any food kept here. 

       It was barely nearing eight now as I crawled over to my couch, dropping my bag and practically face planting into the welcoming material before I became paranoid of sleeping on my stomach. 

       Thunder rumbled outside and I jumped, having nearly been asleep. As I settled down, feeling stupid for my reaction, I remembered having woken in Rick's room. That was when I'd thought he cared. Though, as I'd had time to think more on it this past month, I didn't know for sure if he was pretending anymore. As much as I hated to admit it, I was beginning to wonder if he could actually care, if maybe Beth had been asking because Rick was curious, or worried. He'd tried, to say the least. 

        Truth be told, I was scared. I didn't know what I was supposed to do, especially now that I was back home for the next few months. I wouldn't be bothered, simply sent a few updates via Jason. Knowing I'd have no actual excuse to run away again bothered me greatly. I wanted to allow Rick to try and help, but I was also fairly certain he didn't want to bother anymore. He probably had another floozy in his bed.

       I turned my head, laying one arm over my forehead and the other over my stomach, and shut those thoughts out. Now was a time for sleep, not for angering myself. The less I thought about it, the more I found myself falling into a fitful slumber.