Chapter Two

It had been about a week since I relayed my plan to Summer and Morty. We had perfected it in the amount of time we'd had.

       Currently, we stood in Rick's garage, preparing ourselves for what we all knew to be a somewhat difficult mission. There were slim chances of it working well, but we still clung to that bit of hope.

       "Summer, hand me one of those lab coats." As soon as the material was in my hand, I remembered how it had felt when Rick explained to me that he'd ruined one when trying to save me. "Dammit, I keep getting all nostalgic." Summer and Morty each exchanged a confused glance as I shrugged into the coat, relishing in the scent of Rick. In the little time he was gone, I'd come to realize a lot.

       Rick may be an ass, but he was a good person when he really tried. He can care when he wants, but it's difficult for him to do.

       At this point in time, a sudden sound came from outside of the garage, alerting the three of us to another presence. "Hey, kids, what's going on?" Beth and Jerry had returned from their vacation. A half-month long vacation... as they left me with their kids.....

       Shit shit shit shit shit!!!!!

       I ran over to Beth, "Beeeeth! How was your vacation?" She smiled, pulling me into a hug, "It was wonderful, (Y/N). Were the kids okay?" I nodded, plastering a smile on my face. "I see you found some of Rick's inventions." She paused, looking around, "Where is he, anyway?"

       "O-O-Oh, you know, off planet. He's currently visiting BP!" I mentally high fived myself, glad with the fabrication of my story. Beth looked slightly disbelieving for a moment, but shrugged it off.

       "Um, Beth, I'm gonna take the kids on a little vacation of their own. We weren't expecting you to be back so soon and I was gonna take them to visit Rick." I held my hands behind my back, praying she would buy it. I had no idea their return would cause so many issues. As Jerry struggled to carry their luggage back into the house, grumbling about 'getting a little help', Morty and Summer walked up to my side.

       "Y-Yea, Grampa Rick's been visiting BP for a few days now and we were gonna go check up on him." Summer nodded enthusiastically while Morty looked nervous, "Y-Yea, w-we just wan-wanna make sure Rick's okay a-a-and all."

        Beth gave me a deeply concerned look, shifting her gaze over the three of us. "Are you sure you can handle them, (Y/N)?" I nodded, "Yes, ma'am! They're just so much fun, too!"

        Smiling Beth made an 'awww' sound, "Okay, of course then. I take it you're leaving now?"

       "Pretty much, yea. I'll bring them in and we'll all say goodbye before we leave." With quick kisses on all three of our foreheads, Beth wandered back into the house, leaving all three of us to release sighs of relief.

       Wandering around the garage, I grabbed a few more weapons, flipping secret panels and going through Rick's personal arsenal, and tossed them over to Summer and Morty. Their eyes were wide as they quickly found places on their bodies to hide the weapons.

        I filled my pockets and lined the interior of the coat with multiple weapons before we wandered into the house to say goodbye.

       "Beth, Jerry, we're leaving!" Hurried footsteps carried down the stairs as the duo came to say their goodbyes. We all exchanged quick hugs momentarily.

       "(Y/N), you better bring them back in one piece." Beth wagged a finger in front of my face before  giggling and pulling me into another hug. "Yea, but please don't be like Rick. He's kind of a bad influence and you've been around him an awful lot lately."

       Beth elbowed Jerry in the side, "Shut it," before turning her attention back to us. "Be safe, guys."

       "We will." 

       With that, we made our way out the door. I fired a portal from my own gun, coordinates courtesy of Morty's surprisingly amazing memory, and we walked through.

       All around us, different individuals swarmed about. "Th-Those are the Gromflomites I told you guys a-about." Morty looked around, slight fear in his eyes. All around were similar bug-like people, and a few humans and other mixed alien races. We wandered through for a while, looking around and trying not to appear too conspicuous.

       As we made our way over, looking at a conveniently placed map of the area, we were approached by two human-esque individuals. 

        "May we be of service, strangers?" They seemed human, their walking and mannerisms refusing to betray otherwise. They looked like a couple, a man and wife. The woman was blonde, wearing a red dress that portrayed a bit much cleavage. The man wore a simple black suit and a dangerous smile, his dark hair slicked back.

        "U-Um, yea. M-" I waved my hand, shushing Morty and smiling at the two.

       "Yea, please. We're a little lost. See, when I was younger, my parents were killed in the line of duty, or so I'd been told. There was a letter given to me, addressed by Pat and Donna Gueterman. I'm looking for them right now because somebody told me I was a big part of some weird organization called the Galactic Federation?" They looked a little confused as the woman spoke, "Yes, well, that would be us. I'm Donna, and this is my husband Pat. But, I have no recollection of you. Who might you be?"

       The woman, Donna, folded her arms over her chest, shielding it from Morty's view. "Oh, sorry," I chuckled, "I'm (Y/N) Addams."

       They both gasped, along with a few others walking by.  "(F/N)? Daughter of Rachael and Kyle Addams, two of the best damn commanders in this organization? You've returned! But, tell me, how did you learn about your past?"

        I inhaled deeply, "Well, I was just going about my own business when I happened across one of my neighbors, later introduced as Rick Sanchez. I ran into a member of the organization at random and they told me who I was. I guess they must not have shared the news." I shuddered, remembering having shot the woman, "Eventually, after a great deal of adventurous activities, he mentioned something about being wanted by the Galactic Federation. And then I ran into Tammy, a very nice young girl, at a party. We had a brief discussion about following orders. Hers were, apparently, to bring down Bird Person, which would aid in the capture of Rick. So, I decided to help, fooling Rick and his family for quite some time until I did enough emotional damage to Rick that he finally turned himself in without a fight."

       I turned back to face Summer and Morty, fearfully exchanging glances with one another. Once I had their attention, I mouthed 'lies, I promise'. They looked a little unsure, but went with it. Donna placed her hand on my shoulder, "Your parents would be so damn proud of their daughter carrying on their legacy. You even successfully completed their final mission; to bring about the downfall of the most powerful man in the universe. And Tammy is our daughter. She told us about how she had met you at that party, and of how you were proudly aiding in his inevitable capture, as well. She was so glad to have had even the smallest interaction with you." She looked behind me, taking in the presence of Summer and Morty. 

        "Oh, I see you have some of the Smith members with you today. Prisoners?" I shook my head, "No, they're here because they want to work for the Federation, acting as my understudy's, in a sense. They saw how eliminating Rick from the outside world improved life, and wanted to be a part of similar projects." This time, Pat clapped his hands together, "(Y/N), you truly are a legend. Come, the President will want to see you. We've been wondering if you would ever come to claim your place."

       Morty and Summer followed behind me, glancing at me every once in a while when I could catch their attention. I gave them constant looks of assurance, praying they weren't believing this facade. We'd gone over it so many times, but something told me I was playing the part too well.

       "We can do this." I sighed, walking down endless corridors.