Chapter 26 - Even If Everything Breaks

Beginne am Anfang

We then pull our hoods up, shadowing the top parts of our faces. I adjust the bandanna around my neck and settle it on my nose to cover the lower part of my face and pull on the heavy chain necklace around my neck. Rain puts on a pair of sunglasses and wraps her scarf tighter, tightening her biker gloves at the same time. Vern zips open her jacket halfway to show the sports bra she's wearing underneath and tug a bit at her black cap while messing around with the wristbands around her wrists.

When going to the underworld, its best if you hide everything necessary (like mob tattoos, hair color, eyes or gang accessories. Especially if you're on the wanted list) so that no one recognizes you or dress the exact opposite of who you really are (for example if you're someone who usually dresses nicely, they would dress horribly to the underground).

The elevator dings and opens, the sight of disguised passersby filling the total space of the underworld. We step out, my eyes instantly catching the masked glints of hidden weapons under coats and skirts, and the staring eyes of the people passing by. Suspicion is normal down here. You can't trust simply in the underground.

Sharp observation is key if you want to survive in the dark side of the plastic world.

We walk forward, our boots sounding on the tiled marble floors. When someone thinks of the underworld, they would usually think dirty, poverty or messed up when its the exact opposite. With high rollers being mafia leaders and big names wanted on the hot list, the underground is filthy rich, squeaky clean, luxurious and systematic. 

Rain's voice comes on, my bluetooth earpiece vibrating a bit. "Its fucking packed nowadays."

Privacy and precaution is also important here. You won't want someone unwanted to eavesdrop on what you're saying to one another which is why people usually use earpieces when they visit the underground.

"Seems like the underworld is the new black now."

I chuckle. "You got that right, Vern." I glance at a bunch of young thugs who seemed to be around 15 to 19 heading our way. They're definitely new and don't know anything since they weren't wearing disguises and acting like big shots. Definitely a stupid move. "Everyone wants a taste of a bad job now. It pays way more than surface careers."

"Fastest way to climb up the food chain, huh?" Rain suggests, narrowing her eyes at the group. We stop when they finally approach, their cheap weapons on show. They're also showing off their gold jewelry and cash- because its poking out from under their pockets. Its also obvious that they don't know anything about true fighting. Fights down here usually end up with someone getting sent to the hospital and your fists all bloody.

"I didn't expect to see such beautiful girls here." One of them slurs, eyeing each one of us. 

"I bet you bad ladies are bad in bed as well. How about we go back to our hideout?"

Rain steps forward. "Piss off. We've got work to do."

They cackle maniacally. "And what is that? Whoring around?" They continue to laugh like crazy, I could see Rain's eye twitching from where I was standing. 

Vern clicks her tongue in annoyance. "Move out of the way kids. You don't want to mess with the big guys."

One of them was about to retort back when he suddenly narrows his eyes at me. He then glances to the huge ass hanging screen where the lists were being shown before staring back at me. "Hey, you look a bit like that girl who's number one on the Wanted List." He steps forward and slicks his tongue out in a creepy way super close to my face. "You won't mind if I call you Wrath, would you? I bet you would cost just as much as that girl on the board of th-"