toast & table

The sun rose steadily on the Hogwarts castle, casting a shadow on the far side as it draped the courtyard in its golden beams.

The roses in the master's garden seemed to perk up as they bathed in the light of the ever returning rays of the sun. The school gave off a warm feeling as the new sun appeared and the residents of Hogwarts began to stir; a new day was beginning.

All was quiet in the Hufflepuff dormitory. Even though some were awake, the floor had a unspoken rule to be courteous and quiet until they were sure everyone was up. The floor smelled of gingerbread and pumpkin spice and gave a warm inviting presence to its inhabitants. As the new school year began, people slept comfortably in their beds waiting to see what the new year would bring.

"Alice! Come on wake up, lovey."
She was pulled out of sleep as she turned her head on the pillow.
"What time is it?" She breathed through a yawn, scratching her arm.
"6 am" Angela stated tying her boots,
"Same as every morning."

Alice plopped her head back onto her pillow, staring up at the stairs ceiling.
Her eyes drifted to the wall, in which held a portrait of her hero.

Angela caught her eye and looked to where her roommate was staring.
She sighed,
"Alice, I know how much you admire the man, but for those who didn't grow up with muggles, it's a little off putting."

Alice sat up, suddenly defensive.
"What? He's a big star! A legend even. Back in America-"

"Alice. It's bad enough that both your parents were muggle, we don't need to draw attention to the fact your not even a true part of the British empire." she teased.

Alice gave a weak smile
" I know. But I've lived in London nearly half my life, that should count for something."

"You're still a muggle born though."

Alice smiled softly again. She knew she meant no harm by it. One reason she loved her Hufflepuff friends was that they didn't distinguish her for having no magic qualities from her genetics. Of course, there were still bullys in their house as much as stereotypes would have you believe otherwise. They did tend to stray far from them however, given how much Alice hated conflict.

Angela put both her boots on the floor, standing up.
"Hey, it's alright, I was just messin' with ya."
She said sitting close to her and wrapping her arm around her shoulders.
"What's his name again?" Angela asked.
"Elvis Presley."
"He's cute."
"That's not why I like him." Alice smiled and stood up, walking to their mirror.

She pulled her sunny blonde hair out of its bun and let the locks cascade past her shoulders.

"Your hairs' getting long, kid."

Alice looked at it in the mirror; it went just past her chest.
"Well i should hope so, I haven't cut it since 4th year."

"You haven't cut your hair in two years?" Angela gaped.

A tug pulled at the corners of Alice's mouth.
"No, we all know how my Father-"
she bit her lip. "h-hated long hair." she choked.
Her father hadn't made it past the new year. Not that she knew him well. A nice gift on Christmas and her birthday and an occasional visit in the summer time. Still, a hole made itself known deep inside her.

Angela was behind her now, pulling her into a hug.

Alice breathed deeply in through her nose.
"It's fine. He couldn't leave his work in America, and I barley knew him before that."