Chapter 16: Official

Adrienne

I glanced at the clock warily and sipped on a bottle of water. It was only 3:30, and today had been the first day of my internship at St. Thomas's Regional Medical Center. I spotted the registered nurse that I had been shadowing all day enter the cafeteria, and groaned to myself. Her name was Geanie, a red head, know it all valley girl.

She gave me a stiff smile, her red lipstick evident across her front teeth, "What do you think you're doing?"

"Taking my lunch." I said flatly. I was about two seconds away from popping those balloons she called breast. Hopefully her ass would deflate out my face.

She crossed her arms, "Look Andrea-"

"Adrienne."

She cocked her head to the side, "What?"

"My name is Adrienne. I would think a certified RN could remember something as simple as a name." I took another swig from my water bottle.

"Yeah anyway, when I said go take your lunch, I didn't mean for the rest of the day."

"I've been here for-" I checked my phone, "ten minutes."

"Lets go." She turned around hastily without looking back at me. I sucked my teeth and got up to follow her. Thank god I was getting off in another hour. I had a hot date with Lonnie; and by hot date I meant he was taking me out for drinks. I had tried to get Irene in on the whole situation but she was acting funny lately and was constantly with Enrique. He was a cool guy in my opinion, but I really didn't appreciate him stealing my best friend.

Geanie and I rounded the corner and I immediately spotted Nasir exiting what must've been his father's room. He caught my eye and grinned at me. I responded by looking down and smiling slightly.

He grabbed my arm as we passed by, "Got time?"

I nodded, "I'll catch up to you Geanie."

She snapped her head towards me with attitude but it vanished as soon as she noticed Nasir. She tucked her hair behind her ear and gave him a flirty smirk, "Yeah whatever, I'll be in room 304," she said still looking at him.

"Okay. Bye." I said pointedly.

She finally gave me an annoyed glare and continued down the hall, her pink scrubs disappearing around the corner.

"Dont worry about her. I'm not even sure how she had the mental capacity to graduate medical school." I turned my head to Nasir's smooth voice. Over the few weeks we'd went out once to discuss my internship. He clearly wanted to take it a step further but I was making it a point to avoid it. I always reminded myself of his stuck up, red haired fiancee. I refused to become involved in such messy shit.

"How is he?" I nodded towards his father's room.

"Dying." He said simply.

I didn't even flinch as his cold tone of voice.

"Well that's unfortunate. Imma go catch up with balloon tits." I turned to walk away but he spoke again.

"So there's nothing I can do to convince you to let me take you out huh?"

"Nope." I popped my 'P'.