Chapter 46~ Surprised

I finally reach the top of the steps leading to the getaway room, patiently watching Niall fixing his tie in the mirror. He is looking himself over to make sure his appearance is perfect. His white dress shirt is buttoned up the rest of the way and he straightens his shoulders. The black slacks were fitted perfectly from his professional tailor and his shoes are shiny new.

“Ready handsome?” I question and his eyes find mine in the mirror.

My body is leaning against the doorframe as he looks at me. I’m wearing a blue dress. It’s nothing major. It’s just a regular sundress that flares at the bottom. I have on short heels that make me look slightly taller and he walks towards me. My black leather jacket covers my shoulders. My ‘Niall’ necklace dangles from my neck in support of him.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” He sighs and grabs my hands.

I smile at him and he leans down and kisses me. “I’m so proud of you.” I sincerely tell him.

“It’s not that big of a deal. Most people graduate high school.” He humbly responds.

“Yeah, but you’re not most people. You’re Niall. My Niall. And I am proud of my Niall.”

His grin spreads and his eyes sparkle at my words. “Well I love my Grace.”

“And I love my Niall.” I stand on my tiptoes and kiss him. His hands drift to my waist as he steps closer. He pushes my back against the doorframe and my hands tug at the back of his neck, avoiding his hair so I don’t mess it up.

We are cut off by a yell from downstairs. “Niall! Hurry up! You are going to be late!” It’s Liam, always keeping us on schedule.

“Coming!” Niall yells down the stairs. He leans his head down, his lips grazing my ear. Then his raspy voice whispers, “We’ll continue this later.”

Goosebumps rise on my tingling skin my grip around his neck tightens. He pulls away, smirking. He abruptly turns and walks down the stairs, leaving me there stunned.

I regain my composure and hustle down the steps, not wanting to cause Niall to be late to his own graduation.

~~~~~

“Let’s sit here,” Liam gestures with his program. He takes a step back and helps Sophie to her seat and he plops down right next to her. I follow and take the next seat by Sophie. Then Harry, Zayn, and Louis follow. Niall has already departed to get in the procession line.

We are clear up in the top section, trying to avoid as much attention as we can. There are several body guards standing at doors and one standing at the end of our aisle. His hands are behind his back as he stares into an abyss. No emotion. Serious.

We are quite early, most seats are still empty but the room is filling quickly. There is little conversation traveling in our group. At least for me.

All the others continue to talk to each other but all I can keep thinking about is Niall. I’m so excited for him. He is graduating, against all celebrity odds. He stopped all his work to finish school and he has accomplished his goal. In only a few short minutes he will receive his diploma and his life will continue to move forward.

I couldn’t be more proud, but there’s still something itching at my mind. He’s leaving. There is only tomorrow left and then the next day he will be gone. He will pack his bags and continue on the path of stardom. Meanwhile, I will be sitting around here, alone and missing him.

This will be the most torturous summer I have ever endured. Things were just starting to feel complete and now he will be dragged away. Concerts, interviews, and signings will fill his schedule. But I will be sitting around dwelling on the emptiness.