Chapter 44~ Sleepover

As I descend the staircase I can hear all of their voices echoing from the living room. Exactly where James said they would be. I enter the brightly lit room and join the circle that they are all in. I sit cross-legged between Bella and Aaron.

Niall is across from me with Emma and James on his sides. He smiles at me without anybody noticing and I return the gesture. His eyes sparkle from the chandelier overhead. The dampened hair on his head is messy and adorable. He is wearing baggy shorts and a regular t-shirt of James’.

The sky outside is pitch black and every light in this room is on. It’s almost as if we are trying to keep the darkness from seeping into our personal space.

“Really? You have straight A’s?” Bella asks Aaron shocked. Emma is grinning up at him as if he is her trophy. She seems absolutely entranced by the tall, brunette boy. “No way!” Bella argues.

“Yep,” Aaron says humbly.

“Dang…” Bella drags out. “You are lucky!”

“I’m not lucky. I just do what I’m supposed to.”

“Okay smart aleck.” She rolls her eyes at him and laughs.

James laughs at her reaction. “I’m so glad that I am done with all this high school drama and schoolwork. It’s so annoying. I’m ready to move on with my life.”

Bella looks up at him, slightly hurt.

“Except for Bella, I am definitely not done with her,” he winks reassuring Bella that he still loves her. At first I was unsure about their relationship, but it’s starting to grow on me. They seem really good together and I just want them both to be happy.

“I can’t believe you and Niall are done,” Aaron groans. “Now I’m going to be stuck with a bunch of girls.”

Emma punches his arm and he rubs it playfully as if it really hurt. They seem to be doing well as a couple too. Emma is my best friend and I will always be on her side, no matter what. She is there for me when I need her. I do my best to be at least half as good a friend as she is.

“Yeah, it’s crazy man!” Niall says as he looks at his feet, not making any eye contact. He seems kind of down, not really wanting to talk about it being over.

Emma speaks up. “You know who else is done? Kayla and Trey.”

“Oh yeah!” I suddenly remember our other two friends. “Where have they been? I haven’t heard from either one of them for a long time. I never see them anymore.”

“They are too cool for us now,” Bella sighs. She seems disappointed that Kayla would just walk away from us so easily. It wasn’t even a slow change, it all happened at once. She just stopped talking to us. No gradual decrease. Just BAM! Gone.

“So I know you don’t want to talk about it, but when are you leaving Niall?” Emma asks. She is trying not to pry but she genuinely wants to know.

Niall’s blue eyes rise to meet hers in a void expression. “The Monday after graduation.”

Everyone’s eyes go wide at the realization that there are only a few days left.

“What? That’s only like eight days!” Emma calculates.

“Yeah… not much time left.” Niall whispers as his eyes stare down at the carpet. “I was actually going to say goodbye to you guys during the party.”

“What? Not even a warning?” Bella whines. She looks upset. All of us have become close in the short time that Niall has been here.

“I was putting it off as much as I could. It’s painful to say goodbye and I’m not looking forward to it. I will probably say goodbye to you guys tomorrow when Grace and I leave here.” His eyes stay trained on the floor.