Chapter 39~ Better

I tightly grip Niall’s hand as we walk to the front door of my home. This time, I swear, I am not letting him go. He will not walk out on me this time. If he leaves, I am going with him, whether he wants me to or not.

We both drove separately so he could have a way to get home and I could bring my car back. I still look like a hobo from my torturous night last night. My hair looks like a birds nest atop my head. I am still sporting the outfit I had on yesterday because I didn’t have time to bring a change of clothes. I’m sure Sophie would have lent me some, but I don’t want to take advantage.

Niall and I scale the small porch stairs and come to stand in front of the door. We’re silent. Nobody knocks. Nobody moves. We are waiting. Waiting for something to encourage us along to the future, but nothing comes. I realize at that moment, that nobody is going to push me down the right path. I have to find it on my own.

Instead of waiting for guidance, I bravely lift my own arm and gently tap the wooden blockade. I quickly step back, almost running, but Niall’s grip tightens on my hand and I stop myself from the retreat.

His eyes catch mine and I look at him as he comforts me. “It’s going to be alright Grace. I promise, this time I will stick with you. No running.”

I bite the inside of my cheek, still unsure, and nod my head in understanding. He sends me a pity smile and faces the door once again, preparing for the beast that hides behind it.

The latch rotates and my parents come into view, both of them looking a little upset, my father showing a hint of anger.

My mom quickly pulls me into a hug, her tears spilling onto my wrinkled shirt, enhancing the color. She pulls away and scans the bruises that she had examined the day before. Most the bruises have vanished, but some are still visible.

Niall enters the house silently, stepping out of the way, trying not to draw any unneeded attention to him. He’s being cautious, probably still on edge from our last encounter with my parents.

“How are you feeling?” my mom’s voice breaks my gaze from Niall and the silence.

“Better.” I say as I glance at Niall and smile slightly. I feel better when I am around him.

“That’s good darling.” My mom smiles at me, not taking notice to mine and Niall’s exchange.

“Are we going to talk?” I ask.

My father hasn’t said a word the entire time and I’m starting to dread what he has to say. Although, Niall hasn’t said anything either.

“Yes! Let’s talk!” My mom gushes, ushering us into the living room. We all take the same seats we acquired last night and an eerie silence envelopes us.

I’m leaning forward with my hands clasped in front of me. My eyes are focused on my thumbs as I wait for somebody to say something. Niall’s fingers run up and down my back in a relaxing motion. I can feel everybody’s eyes on me so I avoid looking up.

It wouldn’t be good if I was the one to blow up. My anger is simmering below the surface, ready to boil over. I am going to do my best to keep it contained, but I won’t be afraid to unleash it if necessary.

My father clears his throat, directing my attention towards him.

“Grace, your behavior was unacceptable. You cannot just leave this house without letting your mother or I know. We need to know when you plan to leave at a late or early time like that. We woke up and were worried sick. We thought you had run away or been kidnapped.” His tone is serious with a hint of worry and my muscles relax slightly, knowing that he is trying to stay calm like me.