Chapter 36~ Gentleman

I’m still slumped on the concrete of my driveway. I’ve been sitting in the cold for an hour, staring into space and refusing to go back inside. My parents finally went in half an hour ago. It’s almost midnight and the street is dark and silent. It seems as if time is frozen.

I can’t believe my parents actually forced him to leave. But even worse is that he just walked out. He didn’t even try and stay. He left me here feeling alone and all my hope seems to have vanished. My heart feels like it was shattered. He promised me that he would fight for me. It was all a lie. He just gave up on me.

My teary eyes look up to the starry night sky. Some of them are twinkling reminding me that this is really happening. My life is really falling apart. I never thought I could be in such a low place.

I don’t even hear my mom walk outside, but I take notice when a blanket is wrapped around my shoulders. I look up at her from my seat on the ground. Her eyes are slightly puffy and she looks upset. Probably because I won’t come in the house.

She is quiet for a minute before she starts giving me advice. “Honey, I know this hurts right now, but it will get better. I think we all just need to sleep on it and then rethink everything that was said earlier. Your father may have overreacted earlier and he needs to calm down before talking about it again and I think you need to as well.”

She waits for any reaction from me but I just stare blankly back at her. “It’s going to be alright. Niall will be back. This isn’t the end.”

“I don’t think he is coming back,” I whisper hoarsely.

“He will. He just needs time. Your father just made him leave so he probably doesn’t think he is welcome back here. Your father is just trying to protect you. Niall is just complying with your dad’s wishes so he doesn’t get any further into a hole with your dad. Niall wants to be on good terms with us, so he will do whatever it takes to please us.”

“Well what about me? I didn’t want him to leave,” my voice rises. “He promised that he would fight for me.”

“This is him fighting for you. If your father and I don’t like him then he won’t be able to see you as much. He’s following our command so he can date you with our permission.”

I don’t reply and my mom stands there for a few silent minutes watching the stars with me.

This physically and mentally hurts. Maybe my mom is right. Maybe this is him trying to stay on good terms with my parents. This is him being a gentleman.

“I’m going back inside,” she informs me. “I’ll leave the door unlocked for when you want to come back inside. Please don’t stay out here all night.” She walks back up the path and enters the house quietly.

~~~~

I stay in the same place for hours. Not really sure what to do. I can’t sleep anyway, my mind is wandering everywhere. It’s not until four in the morning that I know what I need to do.

I sneak into my house and grab my purse from the kitchen counter. I exit the house, keys in hand. My mind is racing as I prepare to go find him. My parents would kill me if they knew I was leaving at this time of night. Well, morning now.

I climb into my Jeep and insert the keys. It’s been a while since I’ve drove this thing. Niall has been driving me around since we started hanging out. It’s a good thing I have my own car though, that way I can drive where I want when I want.

I flip on the lights and pull out of my driveway and start driving down the street. Since it’s four in the morning, there is nobody driving around except for me. The journey is shorter than usual and I pull onto the dirt road before I even have time to change my mind.