Chapter 21~ Imperfections

Setting down the last couple plates onto the table, I grabbed the pitcher of punch and filled each person’s glass. Everyone started filing in and finding a seat. My dad sat at the end of the table and my mom took the seat closest to him. My sister sat across from my mom and my brother sat next to my sister. Niall chose the opposite end of the table from my father, leaving the last spot for me next to my mom and across from Jason.

All the food was sitting on platters around the table and we all started filling our plates and passing the trays. Once my plate was full of chicken, mashed potatoes, and corn I grabbed my fork and took my first bite.

Delicious, as always.

“Mm! It’s really good mom!” I compliment her hard work. I’m glad she was willing to make a nice dinner for tonight. It means a lot to me. I just want everything to go smooth.

“Thanks darling!”

“Yes, it’s very delicious!” Niall adds.

“Thank you Niall, I’m glad you like it.”

“Tastes just like home!”

“That’s what we were hoping for,” my mom tells him as she smiles. I didn’t want her to tell him that I wanted the dinner to make him feel like he was home. It’s kind of embarrassing. I just want him to be able to relax around here and not feel like he has to keep up an act.

My father finally interrupts the awkward stare I was getting from Niall and says, “So Niall, how do you like being famous?”

Not really what I want the dinner to be about, but I guess it will work.

“I don’t really like being called famous. I’d rather just be a normal boy from Mullingar who can sing, you know?”

“Not really,” my brother jumps into the conversation.

Niall chuckles and responds, “Are you saying you would like being followed around by the paparazzi and always have a camera aimed at you?”

“No, but I would love all the ladies chasing after me. I could have whoever I wanted.”

Niall kind of winces at Jason’s answer, I am not sure why. I hope Niall doesn’t like being chased by all those girls. What Jason said just reinforced the idea that when Niall goes away he could ditch me and just go for a model. I’m definitely not perfect and it would be easy for him to find a girl who is.

“It’s not like that.” Niall says stiffly.

“Why not? I can just imagine all the chicks kissing my feet.” Jason says smirks devilishly. I can tell he is trying to push Niall’s buttons.

“Jason, stop!” I command. He looks my way and sneers for a second. I return the glare and he goes back to eating his chicken.

Everyone is quiet for a few minutes except for the screeching sound of forks against glass plates. I can feel my blood boiling, both at my brother’s rude intentions and at the fact that Niall has so many beautiful girls around him all the time begging for his attention.

Niall must have been able to sense my temper because his hand finds mine under the table and gives it a light squeeze. I smile at his gesture and most of my anger vanishes, but it’s just below the surface ready to overflow.

“So…” my mom says trying to keep things calm. I’m so lucky to have her. “How is life on the road? You never get to be home.”

Niall instantly goes back to his normal composed self and lets them into his secret life. “It’s crazy to be traveling the world with four of my best mates. Plus the people who manage us are fantastic! It is like one big family, but sadly it’s not my family. I wish I could see them more often. It’s rough being uprooted and dragged away from them at my age. I don’t think I was prepared for this all to happen so fast.”