Chapter 19

* Guys, thank you for 2.4k reads! I really wish you could leave some comments about the story, possibly giving feedback or making predictions. It would mean so much! *

   I rub my tired eyes as I sit up, feeling an arm wrapped around my shoulders. I look over to see a very tired Jai, yawning as he sits up.

   " Hey." He says through a yawn. I look around, sleep trying to pull me back to it. I forgot we had been in the hospital and then I remember the events of yesterday.

   " Is my father...alive?" I say, now suddenly wide awake.

   " The doctor came out earlier, I insisted that I should wake you up but he said no. Your father is alive, he just has to stay here for a while."

   I sigh in relief.

    " Oh, and your mother stopped in to see your father just an hour ago so she's back there now."

   " Where's James?" I say, realizing he's gone. " He left late last night, he had to get home."

   I lift my head and look at him.

   "Did you stay here all night?" He nods.

   " You didn't have to stay all night, Jai..."  He shrugs. "It's okay, I don't mind."

    I look down, wrinkling my eyebrows.

   " Did...Beau ever show up?"

   Jai shakes his head. " We tried calling them after you fell asleep. Luke answered, but he said he didn't want to come here, which was weird. Beau picked up too, but he said he was busy."

   I look around in confusion.

   I could see why Luke wouldn't want to see me, but Beau is surprising me. Busy? I don't know what to think.

   "Did he say anything else?"

   " Well, Luke seemed upset and didn't say much, but Beau seemed to be somewhere loud, possibly a party. But, he's your friend, at least one of them should of come up here."

   I nod slowly.

  I just know the thought will haunt me for the rest of the day.

   I'm about to try and fall back asleep until I hear the automatic doors open and my mother strolls out, wiping her eyes with a tissue.

   I stand up and rush over to her, hugging her tightly.

   " I'm sorry, I didn't know what to do to save him, mom." She strokes my hair gently.

   " It's not your fault, Alexis." I hear her sniffle. " But I think you should go back there to see him." I let go of her, nodding.

   Jai stands up slowly.

   " Should I go, Alex?" My mother notices Jai and manages a smile. " If you would like, you could go back there with her, just for company." Jai nods and smiles.

   " I'd love too."

   We start walking back in the emergency room, where all the patients are in rooms, waiting to be seen by a doctor. We walk past all the rooms until we reach the very last one at the end of the hall.

   I stop by the door, Jai by my side. I look to him with wide eyes and he pats my shoulder, assuring me that's it's okay.

   I push back the curtain in the doorway and look inside.

   I see my dad, laying in the bed with wires all hooked to his body, a machine giving him oxygen and an IV drip above him that is connected with his arm. His face is barley recognizable, he looks so fragile and pale. This man in front of me, doesn't even look like my father.

   I walk slowly over to the bed and get a closer look at his face. His eyes are closed and he's breathing slowly.

   I take his motionless hand in mine and feel tears fall down my face.

   " This is all my fault..." I whisper. Jai puts his hand on my shoulder. "It's not in any way your fault, Alex."

   I sit there, in silence for an hour, just staring off into space, lost in my own jumbled thoughts, holding onto my dad's still motionless hand.

   The curtain at the door opens and two nurses come in. "I'm sorry, but we have to run a few tests on him, so no more visitors for today."

   I nod and turn to face my father.

   I squeeze his hand before letting go.

   "I'll see you soon, dad."

   And with that, we walk out of the small room, as the nurse closes the door.

    As we walk into the parking lot, Jai speaks up.

   "I'll drive you home." And I nod, accepting his offer.

   "Thank you for staying with me, that means a lot to know at least one of you care." I say as we get into the car.

   He grins.

   What about Luke, and James, and Beau? I'm not sure about Skip, but he's a germ so..."

   I can't stand the fact that Luke hasn't told anyone yet. I might as well get it over with, for the both of us.

   " Me and Luke broke up..."

   Jai turns to me. "What?"

   I sigh. " I broke up with him...it just wasn't working out and I feel really bad about it..."

   " Well, if you felt bad about it, why'd you do it?" I look at him. He's probably the only person I can trust right now with my secrets.

   So I decide to tell him everything, starting from the first day I came to Melbourne.