Chapter Thirty-Five | The End

It was now Sunday. Alissa had spent all of Friday night and Saturday moping around her apartment. She wanted to call Sarah and Hwan and explain how Noah was the one who seduced her. She was the victim here... But every time she picked up the phone, her palms would grow sweaty and she would feel queasy.

Alissa decided to call Veronica. She was the only one who understood, who was on her side.

"Veronica, I decided to end things with both Trevor and Noah," she said the second Veronica picked up.

"Oh," she paused. "Well you're better off. You didn't need either of them."

"No, you see, the bastard fired me because of it." Alissa let her face fall into her hands as she leaned her elbows on her knees on the couch.

Veronica gasped, "No."

Alissa sighed, "And now Hwan and Sarah won't even speak to me. He's been telling everyone I seduced him to get a promotion."

"What a fucking bastard!"

Alissa groaned. "Veronica, did I ruin my career by accepting his advances? I have no idea what to do. I can't use Elixir as my reference, and they were my first real job after college," she exclaimed.

"You might have to get a job in a different field just to earn a good reference before applying for another firm."

Alissa lifted her head up and then proceeded to lean back until she slouched so far down on the couch, her ass was practically hanging off.

"What would I do?" Her voice cracked.

Alissa heard someone curse in the background. "I'm really sorry, Alissa, but I have to go. Jackie is burning dinner."

"I am not!" she heard in the background.

"It's okay," she whispered. "Bye."

Alissa hung up before Veronica could respond as she broke down.

Veronica was right, Alissa thought, but she didn't want to start all over in Denver, again. She called her mother in tears. After Alissa told Bridgette everything that happened, she could tell her mother was restraining herself.

"You need to watch out for snakes like that in the corporate world. I'm so sorry, baby, that he took advantage of you. If anyone should be fired, it's that son of a bitch." Bridgette took in a deep breath and let it out. "When your father hears about this, he might damn well fly over there and kill Mr. Wilmington."

Alissa groaned, "But mom, I was the one who said yes. Who knows? I could have kept saying no and he might have eventually given up."

"I don't think that's the type of man who gives up easily," she said gravely. "How do you think he was able to secure such a high-level position at such a young age? What did you say, he was thirty?"

"Something like that," she mumbled.

"You know what you need? Family. Come home for the summer, Alissa. Isn't your lease expiring at the end of this month? Stay with us for the summer. You could even lifeguard again, if you wanted to. Or you could spend it moping around on the beach, even. I don't care. I miss you, you're hurting, and I want to take care of you. Let me take care of my baby."

Alissa sighed, "Maybe you're right... I don't have anything left for me here in Denver. All my friends think I'm a conviving whore." Her voice broke, "And no one is going to offer me a job with my job history."

"It'll be like a belated Mother's Day present," Bridgette said elated as she tried to change the mood.

Alissa let a small smile form on her face.

~~~

It was the end of May when Alissa was finally able to move out of Denver and move back home to Mayfield, New York. She had sold all of her furniture on Craigslist. Veronica even bought a few pieces, at a discounted price, of course, to help her move out quicker. She was going to miss that girl.

Her whole family, Hannah included, picked her up at the airport. It was a heartwarming sight to see as she saw her support group waiting excitedly for her return. Even though she had lost her job and her friends in the process, she knew she always had her family to keep her whole.

Hannah had bad-mouthed Noah on the hour drive home. Alissa knew she liked her for a reason. She could see her summer not being so bad with Hannah by her side. It might even be fun, she thought.

They drove straight to Grandma Beth's house for a family dinner. Aunt Leah, Uncle Todd, and cousins Steve and Ashley were there. Even cousin Eliza, her boyfriend, Paul, and their now healthy son, Thomas, showed up.

The house still smelled of old pine and had the same dim yellow-lighting crystal chandelier in the split-level foyer. Dinner was served in the dining room around the same yellow and green paisley wallpaper she grew up with. There was something comforting about the familiarity of it all.

Before everyone dug in, Grandma Beth stood up, "I'd just like to say, even though most of us already saw each other for Mother's Day, it's nice to do it again so soon for Alissa's return. Alissa, I thank God you are back safe in our arms and away from that awful city. Your home is here, with us. May we thank God for her safe flight home and a positive future ahead. Amen."

Everyone repeated Amen before beginning to eat Grandma Beth's meatloaf and mashed potatoes. She was grateful Grandma Beth didn't bring up her failure, but it made her wonder where exactly was her home. Would it always be in Mayfield? Sure her family was here, but she still wanted to make a home for herself somewhere else.

As she ate dinner, she realized she'd come face to face with her fear: living in a dead end town, probably working a dead end job with no potential lovers in sight. She knew everyone in the damned town, and everyone was either taken, moved away, or she dated them in high school and never again.

She wondered if maybe she didn't deserve love when all she did was tarnish it and leave those hurt in her wake. She looked over at her parents, at her aunt and uncle, at Eliza and Paul, and even at Zach and Hannah. How could she find a love like theirs? How could she even properly love someone like them when she couldn't even properly love herself?

~~~

The End

~~~

A/N: I hope I didn't depress you too much. This isn't the end for Alissa, yet. Head to the next part to read about the third and final book of Alissa's self-journey.

I'll begin revising soon, so, please, if you notice any errors, inconsistencies, plot holes, unbelievable characterization, non compelling dialogue, please, point it out!

Much love,

Jen xo