Chapter Twenty-Four

Thursday was here and Stoned Tech would be arriving tomorrow. Everyone had worked through lunch the past two days. Every time Noah asked her a question or asked for her thoughts on something, she'd draw a blank. Hwan had pulled her aside yesterday afternoon asking if something was wrong. She had been so motivated and full of ideas when they were drafting the proposal for Noah, and now she wasn't adding anything to the team. Alissa had no idea why she couldn't think straight.

Noah's eyebrows scrunched together in thought. She admired his strong nose and full lips for the hundredth time that week. He rapped his fingers against the wood desk considering the wording to the key message they were currently working on. Alissa leaned back in the leather chair with her bare legs crossed. The black pencil skirt she wore today rose up to her mid thigh when she sat. She changed legs so her right leg was crossed over her left leg now, which made her black heel lightly scrap her shin.

"Hwan, Perry, why don't you two go out and grab some lunch? We can work on this after. There are a few things I want Alissa to specifically focus on during our presentation that I think she should work on now," Noah said as he looked into Alissa's brown eyes.

She felt her stomach do a somersault as she sat up straight and watched Hwan and Perry leave the office, closing the door behind them.

"I don't understand your lack of input, Alissa. Hwan has told me that you're usually quite enthusiastic and very much in the game. Is something distracting you?" He interlocked his fingers, leaning his elbows on the desk, and rested his head on his hands.

Alissa gulped as her hands grew clammy. Was she distracted? Was that her problem, she thought.

"I'm sorry, I-" she paused. She uncrossed her arms and clasped her clammy hands together in her lap. "I'm not sure, but I promise I will bring my A-game tomorrow with the client," she said, her voice strong as she looked up at him.

Noah grinned, "Good." He stood up and leaned forward over the desk. "I want you to give me your A-game, now," he said.

She held her breath.

"Let's go over your part of the presentation, again."

~~~

Practicing with Noah was nerve wracking. She didn't understand what was wrong with her, but she knew she would never be nervous in front of the client. Clients never intimidated her. Noah, on the other hand? He definitely intimidated her. She didn't know why, but she wanted to impress him. Yeah, look how great that's turned out, she thought.

Alissa stirred her fork around her spaghetti as she sat at her kitchen island. The news was on in the background, informing the city of Denver of the grand theft auto of a Ferrari. A Ferrari? Who would own a Ferrari in this snowy place? she thought.

~~~

Friday morning arrived with the start of a snow storm. Traffic was terrible. The RTD train rail was jampacked. Alissa barely made it with the sharp as ice wind blowing her hat off. When she entered the office, the clients were already there and waiting in the conference room thanks to Liberty.

"Are you going to be ready in time?" Hwan asked as Alissa stepped up to her desk.

She nodded, "I'm ready as soon as I take my coat off."

"Okay. Perry, you have the packets?"

Perry nodded, "Yeah, but I haven't seen Noah come in yet."

The three of them peered over their cubicle to down the hall where Noah's office was with the door closed.

"I have to greet the clients, like, this second," Hwan said, holding his head.

"And I need to give them the packets," Perry looked down at his hands holding the packets.