Chapter Fifteen

Her father's Jeep rumbled as it drove over the uneven snow-packed driveway of Grandma Beth's house. The sun was setting, its rays downcast through the tall trees. Zach stepped out as the Jeep came to a halt. Alissa looked at Zach hoping he was okay. He had returned home later that day quiet. Her mother had told her he went to see Hannah.

Alissa stepped out of the car and helped her mom out holding the tiramisu. Aunt Leah's car was already parked, as was Eliza's. She followed her parents up the front stoop. Zach had already walked in.

Grandma Beth's house was too warm. She couldn't wait to unbundle herself. The house smelled of old pine and rosemary roasted chicken. Grandma Beth's home hadn't change much. Then again, it hadn't changed since maybe the mid 70's. The pine paneling still encompassed the split-level foyer with the same dim yellow-lighting crystal chandelier.

She walked upstairs to the living room. Uncle Todd and Paul were sitting on the brown suede couch drinking beer.

"Hey!" Uncle Todd stood up. "It's good to see you, Alissa."

Uncle Todd seemed to have gained a beer belly through his blue flannel button-up. His muddy hair was unkempt, but he still wore the largest smile.

"It's good to see you, too." She smiled.

Paul stood up to say hello. His face was a bright red. Alissa assumed it was from the beer and the high heat in the room. He was wearing a thick sweater. Alissa was glad she wore a somewhat thin cream sweater.

"Merry Christmas," Paul said to her and Richard. Bridgette had already gone into the kitchen with the dessert.

"Merry Christmas" Richard patted Paul on the back.

"Where's everyone else?" she asked.

"Eliza and Leah are with Grandma Beth in the kitchen. Steve and Ashley are downstairs. I saw Zach head down there too," Uncle Todd said.

Alissa nodded as she took her coat, scarf, hat, and gloves off. She passed the kitchen on her left and the stairs on her right down the hall to one of the many dark and stuffy bedrooms to drop her things on a frilly comforter. She headed back to the kitchen. She knew she'd have to get the prodding questions out of the way sooner rather than later. At least then, it wouldn't be in front of the whole family, she thought.

Grandma Beth's kitchen was small and cramped. With the four women already in there, Alissa hung by the archway.

"Alissa, my dear," Grandma Beth exclaimed.

Grandma Beth must've shrunk a few inches since last year. She now reached Alissa's shoulders. Her white fluff of hair sat atop her head and she reached out her shaking hands to hug Alissa.

"You smell different," she said as she pulled back.

Alissa looked over at Aunt Leah and Eliza. Aunt Leah had dyed her brown hair black. It made her skin look quite pale, but her green eyes shine brighter. She was wearing a tight red sweater dress. Eliza was hiding a smirk underneath her hand, but her green eyes gave it away. She had her brown hair pulled up into a bun and wore large pearl earrings with her black sweater dress.

"When did you stop wearing the perfume I bought you?" Grandma Beth accused.

"When I ran out of it before I moved to Colorado," she answered quickly.

"Why didn't you tell me? I would have bought you some more!" Grandma Beth threw her hands up in the air. "Whatever you're wearing now smells terrible." She scrunched up her nose. "I'll buy you some more. It can be a late Christmas present." She patted Alissa's arm as she made the final decision.

Alissa couldn't bring herself to tell her grandmother that the real reason she stopped wearing the floral perfume wasn't because she ran out of it, but because Marc had said he loved how it smelled and all it ever did was remind her of him.

"Merry Christmas, Alissa," Aunt Leah said as Grandma Beth returned to the stove.

She smiled, "Merry Christmas."

"So, Eliza was just about to tell us some big news," Grandma Beth waved her hands in the air, looking over at Eliza to speak.

"Well, Paul and I are pregnant," she said with a huge grin.

"Oh my gosh! Congratulations, Eliza," Bridgette exclaimed.

Aunt Leah nodded her head knowingly. Alissa ran over to hug her.

"I'm going to be a great-grandmother?" Grandma Beth asked with a hand to her chest.

Eliza nodded.

She looked to the ceiling and began muttering a prayer.

"When are you due?" Alissa whispered over her grandmother's prayer.

"We don't know yet. It's still too early to tell," she replied still with a huge grin.

"I'm going to be a great-grandmother!" she exclaimed after her prayer, her hands clasped together. "Oh, come here." She opened her arms waiting for Eliza to hug her.

Bridgette hugged Aunt Leah, "You're going to be a grandma!"

Aunt Leah laughed, "Yes, and you're going to be a great aunt!"

The look on Bridgette's face went from pure shock to horror to joy. "I can't believe it!"

They all laughed, then heard a roar of laughter from the guys in the living room.

She was about to walk out to see what was going on when Grandma Beth called her name. She turned back around. Grandma Beth had her hands on her hips and a tap in her foot.

"So, when are you going to give me great-grandchildren?"

Alissa blinked. She replayed the question again in her head, then laughed, forcefully. She was definitely not expecting that kind of prodding question. She didn't know what to say, so she just kept laughing.

~~~

A/N: Please vote and comment! I'd love to know your thoughts so far. :)

By the way, this ending scene was inspired by a real-life event where my own grandmother asked me the same question and I answered with the same response. I'm not even married yet, let alone ready to be a mother! Have any of your grandparents asked you this before? Was your reaction just as rude as mine? (I couldn't help myself; the laugh was uncontrollable.)