Chapter Twenty-Nine

After the research phase of Stoned Tech's campaign and the majority of the planning had been completed, Noah ordered Hwan and Perry to focus on their team's main client, Goldz. At first, Alissa hadn't thought anything of it, but now she questioned if it was so Noah could have her all to himself.

It was the third Friday in April, and the days were finally beginning to be noticeably longer. The sun was shining bright through the floor to ceiling windows of Noah's office. Alissa sat in one of the brown leather chairs perched in front of his desk as the two of them went over her analysis of Stoned Tech's target market audience.

"Okay, so the major market are 20-somethings, but what drives them? What are their wants, needs, goals, desires?" Noah asked, connecting eyes with her when he spoke the last word.

A chill ran up her spine and she tried to ignore it. She nodded, not wanting to speak as Noah went on one of his monologues.

"If I were a 20-something, what would draw me to Stoned Tech compared to all the other dispensaries in the city? Their hipster vibe? Their great deals? Their wide variety of merch? Their in-store futuristic technology?"

Noah stood up and began walking the length of his bookshelf as he continued to ramble while Alissa stared out the window.

She sighed and leaned an elbow against his desk to prop her head upon. It looked beautiful out today and Trevor had told her their date tonight would be a surprise. She wondered what it would be, but hoped it was something where she could enjoy the fresh air and warm sun against her face. They hadn't been speaking much lately as they were both swamped at work, so they had only seen each other three times in the past three weeks.

"What do you think?" Noah turned around to face her back.

"Hmm?" She turned around, not hearing what he had asked her.

"You're a 20-something. What would pique your interest in Stoned Tech?"

Was he asking if she smoked pot?

Her eyebrows furrowed together as she tried to think of a response. She hadn't dabbled in pot since college, even though she now lived in a state where it was legal. She never felt the need to get high as an adult. Alcohol and sex were sufficient enough stress relievers.

Suddenly, Noah's office phone began ringing. He walked over to his desk and picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

His eye brows rose, "Really?"

He looked straight at her and she swallowed the saliva in her mouth.

Noah sighed, "Alright."

He hung up the phone and looked back at her, "Hwan needs you."

"Oh?" She stood up and left his office, thanking Hwan under her breath.

When she arrived back at the team's cubicle, Hwan quickly sped up to her and threw his hands on her shoulders.

"Thank God that bastard let you go! I need you," he said. "Perry can only do so much," he mumbled, looking over his shoulder to Perry who sat at his desk leaning so close to his computer screen, Alissa wondered if he had gone blind.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Only you know how to budget properly. It was your job after all before Sarah and you were promoted and Perry took your old position. He's done it all wrong, and I can't keep track of it all while designing the Goldz brand campaign. I'm terrified he's going to miscalculate and get us caught in some deep shit." Hwan's brown, almost black, eyes looked into hers, pleading for her help.

"Of course, I'll help with the budget." She smiled.

Hwan smiled, "You're a lifesaver, Alissa. Maybe you can teach Perry how to properly budget so you can go back to working on Stoned Tech. A high profile client like that would look great on your resume, you know." Hwan raised his eyebrows at her before sitting back down at his desk.

Alissa sighed as she walked over to Perry, "How's it going, Perry?"

The urge to get high had suddenly grown.

~~~

Alissa smoothed her frizzy brown hair down. She noticed it reached almost passed her boobs now. She thought about getting a trim. There was a knock on her front door and Alissa slipped off the gray kitchen stool to open it. Trevor stood tall in khakis and a blue and white checkered button-up.

"You look beautiful," he said, eyeing her up and down.

She wore a cream sundress and open toed straw wedges. She was excited the sun was still out after work, and she didn't want to waste such a great opportunity to wear a sundress for the first time this season.

She smiled, "Thank you. You look nice, too. So, where are we going tonight?"

Trevor stepped back and to the left. Alissa popped her head into the hall to see him lean towards a large red tote bag on the floor. A few clinks of what Alissa knew were wine bottles were heard from the bag as he lifted it over his shoulder.

"I thought we'd enjoy this beautiful spring day with a picnic at Confluence Park."

"That sounds wonderful." She sighed, locking the door behind her and grabbing his hand as they strolled toward the elevator.

The sun would be setting in about two hours. She smiled as she leaned back on her arms against the soft cotton fabric of the navy blanket Trevor laid out on the grassy lawn. Kids were giggling in the playground to her left. Joggers and strolling couples passed by on the pebble path in front of her. An old couple sat on a bench not too far from her feeding breadcrumbs to some pigeons. A few dogs barked as they played fetch with their owners on the lawn to Alissa's right.

Alissa closed her eyes, feeling the warmth of the sun shining down on her face and the breeze intertwine with her long hair. She sighed, content, as Trevor unpacked the tote bag. Soon, the noise of him ruffling around in the tote bag ceased and all she heard were the children laughing and the dogs barking. She opened her eyes to see Trevor staring intently at her.

"What?" she chuckled.

"I need to tell you something," he said seriously.

Her stomach did a flip and she began to feel sweaty. She held her breath.

"I think I'm falling in love with you, Alissa." He smiled at her, waiting for her response.

Her eyes widened and her heart rate began to run one-hundred miles a minute.

No, this can't be happening, she thought. What did she think would happen? Trevor thought they were serious, when she was just enjoying the moment. He saw a future with her, when she couldn't even see what she'd be doing this summer. She internally groaned.

Her eyes stayed wide, like a deer in headlights, just staring at Trevor, not knowing what to do or how to respond.

He cleared his throat, "I understand if it might be too soon, and you don't have to say anything back, but I just wanted to let you know how I felt. I think you're so incredible and I feel so lucky that you want to be with me. It's a bit scary, but I don't mind being vulnerable around you, because I love you, Alissa."

He reached for her clammy hands. She jerked away from him and immediately stood up.

"I... I have to go," she stammered.

She sped walked to the street as Trevor called her name behind her. She walked a few blocks in a haze, trying to control her rapid breathing and heartbeat, before hailing a taxi. When she slid inside the backseat, she broke down into tears.

~~~

A/N: 0_0 Who expected that? Poor Trevor. He confesses his love to her and she runs away. Do you think she feels guilty about Noah? Do you think Trevor deserves better?