Chapter Twenty-Five

While the weekend was an absolute blast with Trevor at the new brewery, Alissa swore she'd stay focused and put in her best effort at work that week. It was time to bunker down and strategically plan the logistics of their campaign.

Perry was out sick on Monday, so not only did Alissa have to estimate the budget, but she had to take notes in his absence. By the time lunch rolled around, Alissa was slammed with numbers and decided to work through lunch. The whole office was empty except for her. She liked the silence, though. It helped her concentrate.

"What are you still doing here?"

She looked up to see Noah peering over her cubicle wall.

"Budgeting," she said as she looked back at her spreadsheet.

"You lived up to Hwan's expectations during the presentation last week and now you're surprising mine. Staying through lunch to crunch numbers?" he said.

"Yes. With Perry out, I'm doing two jobs at once, and this needs to get done today," she said, looking back up at him.

His dark eye brows rose, "I'm impressed."

"Really?"

Crap, now she sounded unsure of herself like Perry.

"I find dedication in a woman very," he paused, "attractive."

Her stomach did somersaults. He walked away towards the elevators. She looked back down at her spreadsheet, trying to control her breathing.

~~~

Perry ended up having the stomach flu so Alissa was overwhelmed with his workload and hers for the rest of the week. She ended up working through lunch every day. During each lunch break, Noah would slowly walk by her cubicle to see what she was doing, but wouldn't say a word.

It was starting to irk her. She knew her performance last week wasn't her best, but she proved herself during the meeting with the client and now. Why did he feel the need to check up on her every day?

Noah's new secretary, Adele, was almost a copycat of Samantha. She wore high heels and tight clothing with way too much eye makeup, and whenever Alissa was in Noah's office, Adele would move her desk closer to his opened office door.

On Friday, Adele's desk chair was practically in the doorway of Noah's office. Alissa rolled her eyes as Adele pursed her bright red lips. She almost tripped as she walked into Noah's office.

"I've finished the social media analytics report."

Noah didn't look up from his desk, "Good. Bring it here."

She dropped it off, then turned around to leave. Adele was staring right at her with her ice blue eyes throwing knives. She didn't understand what Adele's problem was. She sighed.

"What's wrong?" Noah asked.

She turned back around. This was ridiculous.

"Adele has been moving her desk closer and closer to your office this whole week now," she whispered, "and she's practically barricading the door. I almost tripped on her stupid chair leg." Alissa scrunched her nose and puffed hot air out of her nostrils.

"Oh?"

"And she keeps glaring at me. I haven't done anything to her. I've barely had a conversation with her. I think you need to speak with her about office manners," she said attempting to calm down.

"Jealous?" Noah asked as he side-glanced her way.

"Excuse me?"

She couldn't believe it. She wasn't jealous. Adele was just being ridiculously unnecessary and immature.