Chapter Seven

A/N: Forewarning - The following scene might cause a trigger for some.

~~~

Sarah and Alissa dressed quickly as Alissa called Veronica.

"Veronica! What's wrong? Where are you? Please call me back. We're coming over."

She hung up with a sense of dread weighing her down as if a sack of rocks pulled her closer toward the Earth.

Sarah ran her fingers through her hair as they both left through the door. In the cab, Sarah rested her hand on Alissa's back.

There was no conversation between the two as a range of thoughts crossed their minds too horrid to speak out loud.

The gray sky brought thick, low clouds that covered the tops of Denver's tallest buildings. There would be no sun today; snow was in the forecast.

As they stepped out of the cab, a strong gust blew through them, making their hair get in the way of their eyes and a chill run up their spines.

When Alissa finally untangled her hair, she saw the narrow brick four-story building Veronica lived in. Alissa climbed the overly salted concrete steps. It crunched under her boots. She pressed the buzzer. It rang, but there was no answer.

Alissa's heart picked up pace, and her hands started to sweat inside her black gloves. She hit the buzzer again. No response. She looked to Sarah.

Sarah stepped towards the door and pressed the buzzer for Veronica's neighbor. It was almost noon on a Saturday, so Alissa hoped they would still be home.

"Hello?" A deep, raspy voice beckoned.

Alissa sighed with relief.

"Our friend, Veronica, your neighbor, needs our help and isn't answering her door. Could you please let us in so we could check on her?"

Alissa appreciated Sarah taking the reins. She would've probably stuttered into the intercom until he would've turned them away.

"Oh, yes. Of course."

The front door buzzed and Sarah reached out for the handle. She turned to look at her friend with an assured smile; though, Alissa could detect the worry creasing around the corners of Sarah's eyebrows.

Sarah followed Alissa up the brick staircase that sat in the center of the building to the third floor. Once they reached the landing, there stood a short, dark man.

Alissa could see his black coiled hair thinning and he stared at them with a grim expression. He could've been in his late sixties for all she knew.

"I thought I'd help you in case Veronica is in danger," he said.

Alissa nodded while Sarah whispered a thank-you. Alissa took her sweaty gloves off and knocked on the door.

"Veronica?" Her voice shook, "It's me, Alissa. I have Sarah and your neighbor-" She turned to look at him.

"Paul."

"And Paul with me. Are you okay?"

There were muffled cries behind the metal door.

"Are you hurt? Do we need to call the cops?"

There was a ruckus of furniture being moved and the murmuring of "No cops" behind the door. The latch on the door clicked and the door swung open.

Veronica trembled. Alissa spotted one of her gold hoop earrings tangled in her messy hair that now rested on her shoulders. The cutouts of her black dress from last night were torn into large holes. Her bloodshot eyes met with Alissa's.

"No cops," she repeated.

Alissa's heart broke as she saw her. Tears welled in her eyes but she stopped them by clenching her throat. She slowly made her way to the doorway as Veronica trembled again, and pulled her into her arms.

Paul rested a hand on Sarah's shoulder before slowly backing away and retreating to his apartment across the hall.

Sarah walked passed them and a random dresser near the doorway into the apartment motioning for Alissa to follow and close the door. After the door was closed, she looked around at the ransacked apartment.

Books and other decor were thrown on the floor, and some pieces even broke into tiny glass shards.

"What happened?" Sarah asked, watching her footsteps.

"Who did this?" Alissa clenched her teeth together, anger now taking over her emotions.

Veronica pulled away and whimpered, "Jackie." She paused as she sat down on the brown leather couch, pulling a tan plush pillow into her chest.

Sarah sat next to her rubbing circles on her back while Alissa paced around the debris.

When Veronica calmed a bit, she spoke, "Jackie was more of a Jack than a Jackie."

Veronica buried her face into the pillow and trembled again. Sarah pulled her in, looking at Alissa with wide eyes.

"How could she... he... do this?" Alissa raged.

Veronica looked up, "It's not her fault! She didn't know I've never slept with a man before."

Alissa stumbled over her words in shock and anger, "Jackie should've told you her secret long before you took her home!"

"She's right," Sarah added. "That was wrong of her to assume you'd be okay with it just because you're a woman."

"Did you ever speak with her about your sexuality?" Alissa asked.

Veronica shook her head no, "We literally met last night at the Shrine. There wasn't much talking..." She paused. "I thought she was a lesbian, like me."

"So how did it happen?" Sarah asked.

Veronica stared at the beige carpeted floor. "Well, I was obviously surprised, and, I think because I was drunk, I overreacted. I screamed." She buried her face into the pillow again.

After a moment, she continued, "Jackie was so hurt, but because she was also drunk, she got angry. She threw me against the wall and then, just, started throwing things at me or near me or on the ground." Her voice was shaking so Sarah continued rubbing soothing circles on her back.

Alissa stopped pacing. "What happened next?"

"She came at me and tore my dress and pulled my hair. She said that if I called the cops on her, she'd come after me... So, after she left, I pushed my dresser out of the bedroom and up against the front door."

"We need to call the cops," Alissa said.

"No! Don't you understand? She knows where I live. She could come back..." her voice shook.

"No one will call the cops," Sarah said. "Come on, let's get you into a hot bath." She stood up and offered her hand out to Veronica.

After Veronica took it, they strode into the bathroom. After five minutes had passed of Alissa pacing, again and again, Sarah emerged from the bathroom. She came over and gave Alissa a hug. They held each other like that for a few minutes as Alissa tried not to break down in front of her friend.

When they broke apart, they spent the rest of their time cleaning up Veronica's apartment while she got some needed relaxation in the steaming, bubbly tub.

~~~

A/N: Damn, didn't expect that, did you? Poor Veronica. I also feel bad for Jackie, though. She probably has such a tough time meeting people. :( Please tell me your thoughts, and don't forget to vote! xo