Chapter One

"Come on, Alissa, just pick one," Sarah Fey whined.

One of her curvy hips jutted to the side as Sarah waited impatiently for Alissa Adams to choose.

They had been at Nordstrom's all afternoon shopping for a gown to their marketing firm's Christmas party, but Alissa just couldn't decide between the blush or the red gown.

The blush was made of chiffon with shimmering beading laid intricately throughout down the trumpet skirt, and the sleeveless top offered an opening in the back. The red was made of cotton and rayon with a low dipped opening in the back and an oval cutout in the chest. Both rested at Alissa's ankles in her nude four-inch heels.

"But they both say such different stories. The blush is so elegant, and the red is so sassy."

Sarah sighed, tucking her wavy blonde bob behind her ear as she sat in the fitting room's purple velvet stool. "They're both gorgeous, but you can't wear them both to the party."

"I know that," Alissa mumbled. "Let me just try the blush one on one last time."

Sarah scoffed as Alissa headed back behind the purple velvet curtain of the dressing room. The gray tile was chilly underneath her bare toes. She slipped the blush dress on and stepped out for Sarah to zip her up.

She looked in the trifold mirror and twirled. This one shined when she moved. Plus, the red one might have been a little too sexy for a work event, she thought.

She turned toward Sarah with a smile.

"Good, let's go eat, now. I'm starving!"

Alissa chuckled as Sarah unzipped her dress.

~~~

Sitting in the mall's food court was always an experience. All the people-watching was just too entertaining. Alissa spotted a guy grabbing his girlfriend's ass as they waited in line for burgers in McDonald's. The girlfriend turned around, her long, black coiled hair swayed, and smacked him in the chest. She chuckled as she sipped her Coke.

"So, who're you inviting to the party?"

"Hmm?" Alissa shifted in the yellow metal wire chair.

"We're allowed to bring a plus-one, and they don't have to be from work. So, who're you bringing?" Sarah explained.

"Oh, I don't know. I haven't really thought about it." She rested her elbows on the gray metal table.

"Why not that Max guy? You know, the one who took you to the museum?"

Alissa had tried her luck with online dating. She dated a handful of guys in the past few years, but they were either creeps, tools, or just didn't connect well. She wasn't exactly looking to settle down. She was only twenty-four, settling down was the last thing she was looking for. But she wanted someone fun, someone she could have a good time with for the moment.

Max was the last guy she met online. He had taken her to Denver's contemporary art museum.

She enjoyed her fair share of contemporary art, but they all looked the same to her. What really peaked her interest was the Renaissance art, or the Roman art, or the ancient Egyptian art. Those told stories. Stories of pain and war, of love and passion, of idolizing and worshipping. Those were thrilling, worthy stories to tell.

But Max was from a different world. He saw the stories in contemporary art that she just couldn't see, couldn't connect to. She tried to understand his point-of-view but just couldn't reach it.

"I don't know. We didn't have a lot in common." Alissa scratched the back of her head as she forked some more lo mein. "Who're you inviting?"

Sarah's mouth grew into a smile. "Well, we met through mutual friends, and he's so damn sexy! He has these arms and these abs. Oh, and his smile, but, oh my god, you need to see his ass!" She laughed. "But, I don't know if he thinks of me in the way that I think of him." She frowned.

"What do you mean?"

Sarah leaned in, her food now untouched. "I think about him when I touch myself."

Alissa smirked, "Ah, that kind of way. Well, the party is a great time to find out. Ask him!"

Sarah stuffed sesame chicken into her mouth and shrugged her shoulders.

It would be awkward showing up in such a shimmering dress alone, Alissa thought. Who was she going to ask as a date?

~~~

A/N: Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment! I'd love to hear what you're all thinking after the long anticipated wait. :)

Thank you for reading! And Happy Valentine's Day!

The next update is Sunday, February 25th, and starting then, this book will be updated almost every Sunday regularly.

Until then,
Jen xo