Chapter Thirty-Four

中忍選抜試験
Chunin Selection Exams

...---...

AN: I know I'm probably rushing the book, since I didn't go in depth the past few chapters, but I'm rushing here because this book is getting longer than I expected. The whole point of it is on the war, and right now it's barely even near it. But I hope you enjoy this chapter, and I'm open to comments and suggestions. Thank you for reading! :]

...---...

team seven

Naruto Uzumaki
"Satoshi."

"The choice is yours, Naruto." Satoshi states with a hand on said boy's shoulder. He stares into the blonde's cerulean eyes and breaks into a small smile. "If you believe you're strong enough for the Chunin Exams, then do it. It all depends on you."

"Thanks, Satoshi-nii!" Naruto exclaims before running off, his orange jumper still blaring as he went farther.

Satoshi watches, until a realization comes to mind--

"Shoot! Hideki, we're still genin!"

Naruto Uzumaki, make sure you become a Chunin.

Sasuke Uchiha
"Hideki."

"Sasuke, before you go," Hideki licks his lips as he calls out the boy. Said boy turns around slowly, with scowled lips and narrowed eyes.

"Yes?"

"Remember what I told you before--"

"Work together as a team," Sasuke monologued, rolling his eyes. "Don't let your anger get the best of you. If there's a higher danger meant for jounin, run. Always look after your teammates. Don't pick fights with Naruto or Sakura--Why do you always have to remind me?"

"I'm sure Satoshi reminds Naruto, and Raideshi reminds Sakura." Hideki states, ruffling the boy's hair. "A broken team is never only one's fault, but everyone's. You got that?"

"Yeah."

"...Hideki?"

"Yes?"

"Why doesn't Sakura have another mentor? I mean, the three of us have Raideshi, but I also have you, and Naruto also has Satoshi. You help me with my fire and lighting, and I heard from Naruto that Satoshi helps him with wind--but Raideshi can't really help Sakura..."

I guess we better get Tsunade. "Yeah. We've been thinking that for a while, Sasuke. We're gonna fix that, but right now, you needa go prepare for the Chunin Exams, okay?"

When Sasuke leaves, Hideki thinks, since when was he so talkative?

Kakashi Hatake
"Raideshi."

In the early morning, Kakashi Hatake watches another man visit the cemetery. He inwardly scowls. This is my cemetery, I visit here at this time, when no one else comes here. Why are you here?

The man stalks over to the Memorial Stone--Kakashi's scowl widens, because that's where he is--and bounces on the balls of his feet as he reads the names carved onto the stone. For a while, there is silence, and Kakashi is thankful for it.

Until--"Who are you here for?"

Kakashi Hatake prepares to make a comeback, but for some reason, his mouth flies open and states, "Not somebody. More like somebodies."

The man with raven hair nods and turns back to the stone.

"What about you?" Kakashi Hatake asks, because he finds it unfair that he has to answer the question when the man doesn't.

"Somebodies too." The man responds, and a dark part of Kakashi twitches--because why does he have to lose a bunch of people too? It's only me, I want to be alone. "I'm Raideshi. You?"

"Kakashi."

"Hey Kakashi, you wanna meet my genin team sometime?"

Sakura Haruno

We need to find Tsunade. Will you help? We're leaving before the Third Part of the Exams.

- Naruto

Sakura Haruno finds this note sitting in her tent when she and Miyako are camping--it was a long journey from where they were and Konohagakure, so they decided to set up tents.

She doesn't want to accept this favor, but she knows she has to, because of the countless favors she asked of Satoshi--since he was in Konoha.

It's only a day and a half until they reach Konoha, and by then, the Chunin Exams and the festivals will take place in one month. Miyako questions why they arrive so early in Konoha, but she keeps her questions to herself--because Sakura is a mastermind with unexpected abilities, so this is a new one she'll find.

"Miyako?"

"Yes, Sakura?"

"When we go there, I need you to call me Sayaka. Okay?"

How many times do I have to keep myself from asking you what you're hiding?

"Okay."

But I guess that's the way it has to be.

...---...

Kakashi Hatake inwardly cursed himself--because he had just accepted the invitation to meet this stranger's genin team. How stupid am I?

No, how weird is he? He's the one who asked me too--no one ever does that.

He sighs and flops down on his couch. He fishes through his kunai pouch for his orange book and scans through the pages, trying to find some entertainment.

Oh right. He wants me to meet them tomorrow.

He then looks back at his ninken. I should make him meet mine. Maybe that will scare him away.

"Pakkun, I need you to execute Plan F when I invite this man over, okay?"

...---...

When Miyako and Sayaka (aka Sakura) arrive to Konoha, it is already the evening. Both of them create a henge--Miyako now has brown hair and brown eyes; Sayaka has long, pale white hair and blue eyes. They first find a hotel to stay at, then head to Ichiraku's for lunch.

When they go back to the hotel to sleep, Sayaka lies down on her side while Miyako is washing her face, and her inner says, you're not here just to save your chunin team.

Sayaka shakes her head. No.

I'm here for Orochimaru.