Chapter 55

Silence.

That was what you were treated with from Mettaton the rest of the time at Norman's show. He spoke to others as needed and kept up the air of jovial politeness. But to you, he said not a word or made aa sound. Which made his actions all the more jarring. Even you made sounds of either acknowledgment or the like by clapping your hands, snapping your fingers, or clicking your tongue. It continued on afterwards as you both got into the limo and made your way back to the resort.

Not a word the entire trip.

Because of this, it made the fact that almost everyone seemed supportive of your relationship meaningless. This should be a happy occasion. You should be sitting there ecstatic that the human audience (and by default most of the population) were happy for you two. But instead it felt like a hollow victory. Hadn't Mettaton wanted to discuss it at some point? He was good at keeping you in the background but it was going to be found out eventually. So why was he acting this way?

You continued to mull his angered actions over with the heavy silence between you both making it feel as though you were going to suffocate. This was a much worse feeling. At least if he was speaking, you could tell by his tone of voice how angry he was and he would be talking so you would also know why he felt this way. This silence was the complete opposite. You didn't know what was going on in his head and that just made your thoughts spiral more and more in speculation. Any attempt on your end for conversation was for the most part ignored. He would glance your way showing he did in fact see you trying to speak but chose not to say anything back. Though the fact that he gave your attempts any kind of acknowledgment was a good thing. If he really wanted to ignore you then he wouldn't look at all.

Soon the limo was pulling into the parking lot of the resort and you took a silent elevator ride up to the penthouse. Along the way, you had gotten heartfelt congratulations from several of the staff and you had graciously smiled at them in return. No one seemed to notice what was going on with the robot idol because of the way he hid it. Damn him and his acting skills.

The moment you were on his floor, you headed into the penthouse, plopped down on the couch and waited. Fortunately for you, that wait wasn't too long. Mettaton closed the door a lot harder than he normally would and headed to stand in front of you on the opposite side of the coffee table.

"y/n... do you have any idea of what you have just done?" His tone was dead serious and you could sense the impending argument about to take fold. No wonder he had waited until you two were truly alone. There was no way he would want to do something like this in public for all to see. Warily, you shook your head at him and waited for the robot monster to fill you in on the vital information that you seem to be missing. Mettaton's eye twitched before letting out an aggravated sigh. "Okay. Tell me what YOU thought you just did."

You squirmed under his intense gaze. This was the first time you were on the receiving end of his true anger and it wasn't pleasant in the slightest. "I announced our relationship on national TV?" your hands signed to the ghost robot monster while ending in a shrug. "It was either that or dance around the truth and have Norman try to pry it out or have him add his own speculations which could have made things worse. I'm sorry, I should have discussed it with you first but I thought you would be happy that I was willing to announce it at all"

Mettaton froze as his eyes read the last part and he brought a hand up to rub his temple. "I am. That isn't what I'm angry about, gorgeous. And yes, you should have discussed it with me first."

He said a pet name. HE SAID A PET NAME. Maybe you could manage to salvage this after all and at least he wasn't mad that you were ready to announce your relationship to the world. Then what was the issue? What set him off? "Then.... what has your circuits sparking?" you signed to Mettaton in an attempt to get him to calm down even more.