Chapter 34

Oxygen.

Why must you take it for granted most of the time?

You sat on one of the many Grecian style stone benches that were placed around the open air mall. This one was almost entirely invisible. It was positioned to sit, exact center, between two large trees and a nicely trimmed hedge. The sculpted hedge reaching at least 5 feet above your sitting form. Unless someone came at you head on, there was no way that they could see your position. All of the plants that the mall had were really well taken care of. Did Asgore have a gardening side business when he wasn't dealing with politics? You would have to ask him the next time that you were at his house. Looking up at the sky, your shoulders heaved while your lungs took in the sweet oxygen that it needed. It's a good thing that you had found this spot or else you would have still been running.

Not long after Mettaton and yourself left Koppel in the alley, the two of you had turned a corner and right into the huge group of MTT fans from earlier. Your ears were still ringing from the high pitched fangirl squeals of 100+ people erupting at once. Mettaton had given them a smile before spinning himself, and you, around to run in the opposite direction. The monsters and humans giving chase so that they could get a chance to speak to the robot idol.

Dodging kiosks and bystanders, you both had rounded a corner in your attempt to escape only to run into your, previously missing, monster companions. You had almost plowed right into Alphys if Undyne didn't have her razor sharp reflexes. The strong fish woman had snatched Alphys up and out of the way just in time. Before anyone from the crowd saw where you were, Mettaton pulled you behind a large billboard sign that hid you from their view. Confused on why Mettaton was here, and even more so by his behavior, Undyne was about to ask what you two were hiding from when the large mob came into view. Both female monsters looked back at you and all you did was hold up the arm that had your purchase dangling it from it with pleading eyes.

They got the hint.

While carrying Alphys under one arm, Undyne dashed out into the open and pointed in a random direction shouting "IS THAT METTATON?!" at the top of her lungs. She then commenced to lead the mob on a wild goose chase through the mall. All the while, leading them further away from your position allowing you to slip away to this conveniently secluded spot. Which was perfect, because you felt like you were dying after that sprint.

"Songbird~ I'm back with a treat~" Mettaton sung out as he rounded the corner into your current hiding spot. He held two fruit smoothies, one in each hand. Not really caring which you had, you took the pink one of the two he offered, since it was the closest, taking a grateful slurp from the purple straw. The cool fruity liquid melted as it journeyed down your throat, sating the dryness that had made its home there during your run. You leaned against Mettaton's side when he sat down next to you. Tapping the cup you held in appreciation. "Feeling better, beautiful?" the robot hummed out after taking a sip from the yellow one.

Nodding, you took another good slurp before setting the smoothie next to you on the bench with your baggie. "Very much! Though I have to ask... how did you know I was in trouble?" Your hands signed to the robot.

"Oh, you mean how I appeared behind Koppel a few moments ago?" He asked and continued after you nodded to him again. "Well, sweetheart, I didn't know that you were in trouble. I just saw someone drag you off the bench and assumed the worst. It was rather tricky slipping away from that crowd."

"How did you sneak away?" That was something that you had been wondering about. How had Mettaton snuck away from such a large crowd without any of them following him?

The robot pushed a button on his belt and a compartment opened that held several little circular gadgets within. He pulled one out and handed it to you. "With this little beauty that Alphys designed for me." Mettaton said giving you a playful wink. He took the bottom piece off the one you held and moved to place it on a nearby trashcan. "Alright, now hit the red button on top of the piece you are holding."