"That's very noble of you." 

"Sure."

Another gust of wind whipped through the park, this time a bit cooler, and Dinah shivered again.

"Are you cold?" You inquired, already knowing the answer.

"Kinda." She smiled sheepishly and pulled Seth into her lap, then scooted over on the wooden bench so that she was pressed into your side. You put your arm around her shoulder and she moved even closer, grateful for the warmth.

"Probably should have worn more than a t-shirt," she joked, those dimples by her eyes showing.

"Yeah, you normally have that blue hoodie. What happened to it?"

"Seth threw up on it. But you're a good substitute."

"I appreciate that."

Silence ensued as you and Dinah were contended between watching Regina run around and observing Seth's nap. It was an easy job, really. No one else was even at the park, so it wasn't like there was anyone else to watch out for. Eventually, things got a bit awkward, with Dinah almost in your lap and no words being exchanged, so you decided to voice an earlier concern about Dinah's transfer of schools.

"Dinah?" You called quietly, turning your head slightly to look at her.

"Mhm?" She answered, sounding a bit sleepy.

"Why did you change schools?"

Her eyes darkened and she tensed slightly, not enough to address verbally but enough to notice.

"I don't wanna talk about it."

You became suspicious and concerned all at the same time.

"Why not?"

"One day I'll tell you." Her voice was colder, cutting like the swirling wind. "But not now. Not right now.

"Alright. Sorry for asking."

"It's okay." She leaned her head back down on your shoulder. "Let's talk about something else."

"Okay. Like what?"

"You're still working concessions with me on Friday, right?"

"I wouldn't miss it."

"Do you know when the homecoming game is?"

"Um... I think it's next Friday."

"Damn, that's soon," she whispered.

"Watch the mouth, DJ. You sound like Lauren."

She laughed lightly. "Our friends need to meet."

"Yeah, they do," you agreed. "I have a feeling they'd get along."

"I think so," Dinah yawned, closing her eyes.

"Why are you so sleepy, DJ?"

She rubbed an eye. "I was up last night thinking about that art project we're starting. I was brainstorming for like three hours."

"Did you come up with anything?"

"No, and that's the frustrating part," she shifted Seth in her grasp. "You know writer's block?"

You nodded.

"Well, it's like that except with painting. Painter's block. Is that a thing?"

You shrugged. "I don't see why not."

Dinah turned to speak again, but was cut off by Regina's crying. The taller girl immediately shot up and ran to go find her sister, shoving Seth into your arms along the way. You stood as well and set Seth on your hip, then went to go find the two Polynesian girls.

You found them by a slide, Regina with a bloody knee and Dinah kneeling beside her trying to fix it. Dinah glanced over her shoulder to you.

"Hey Y/N, can you grab the bag I brought please? There's some bandaids in there."

You nodded and jogged to retrieve it, trying not to bounce Seth too much, who had just awoken. After scooping up the supply bag, you went back to Dinah, who had managed to calm Regina down to the occasional sniffle.

"Here you go," you said, dropping the bag at her side.

"Thank you," she returned, rummaging through it until she found a hello kitty band aid. Using a tissue, Dinah cleaned off the blood and then stuck the bandaid on, making sure to kiss it afterward. She then stood and helped Regina to her feet.

"Thanks DJ," Regina said sweetly.

"You're welcome."

Regina tugged on your jacket sleeve, pulling you to her level.

"And thank you Y/N," the little girl whispered, kissing your cheek.

"Yeah, thank you Y/N," Dinah repeated when you stood back up. She kissed your cheek as well, making you blush. "Okay, Gina, go play some more. Then we'll go home for a snack in a little."

The girl nodded and went back to playing around on the equipment while you and Dinah made your way back to your bench. You sat Seth down and plopped down next to him. You were about to say something to Dinah when you noticed her gaze was fixed on someone walking up the sidewalk, her body frozen.

You turned to see what she was staring at. "Dinah, what are-"

"We need to go." She said sternly, gathering her bag.

"What? What is going-"

"Y/N, please. Just get Seth and the bag and start walking toward my house. I'll grab Regina and I'll be right behind you."

Dinah's tone did not sound playful in the slightest, so you followed her orders. Soon, she had her younger sister by the hand and was speed walking beside you. The taller girl didn't relax until she was safely inside her house. She sent her siblings into the living room and leaned back on the front door to take a breather.

"Dinah, talk to me. What the hell was that?" You questioned quietly.

"I just..." She took a deep breath and put her hands on her knees. You rested a hand on her shoulder to ground her. "I saw someone from my old school that I was not expecting nor wanting to see to say the least."

"Do you want to elaborate on that?"

"I told you, Y/N/N. At a later time. I'm not ready."

With that, she pushed past you and entered the living room, leaving you confused, concerned, and maybe, somehow, intrigued.