epilogue

+++

"Mexico, Lainy?" My uncle exclaimed, "Again really?"

"We had to save Scott and Kira." I smiled brightly, trying to get myself out of trouble.

My uncle just stared blankly back at me. 

I smiled wider, "Sorry?" 

My uncle sighed, taking off his glasses and pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I know you are roped into this supernatural world, Elaine, but you also need to live a normal life." My uncle told me, "You have big year coming up. Do you even know where you want to go to college, hell, do you even know what you want to do with your life?"

I opened my mouth to say something, but it just hung there letting out dry air.

"That's what I thought."

"Uncle James, I don't know what's going to happen next year, or even tomorrow," I began explaining to him, "But if my friends are ever in danger, I'm going to do whatever I can to save them. I've already lost one, I won't lose another."

Uncle James looked back at me with defeat, there was no point of arguing about this with me. I am my mother's daughter after all.

"I know," My uncle nodded and then smiled. "Come on, I made mac and cheese."

I clapped my hands together in excitement and rushed into the kitchen.

"You're the best!"

+++

"You're avoiding it. I know you are." Stiles stated as we sat across from each other in the library.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I finished writing the answer to a question and then looked up at him with a frown.

"No I'm not," I shook my head, disagreeing with him, before looking back down at my work.

"Yes you are, Lainy." He argued, "I think I know you well enough to know when you're avoiding something. Look, we have to talk about it at some point."

I let out a heavy sigh.

"We don't have to talk about it, if it didn't mean anything." I told him, referring to the kiss.

Stiles repeated, almost sounding hurt, "It didn't?"

"It can't."

"But did it?" Stiles asked, his tone angrier.

I paused, I couldn't lie to him and say that it didn't.

"I-I don't...I don't want to answer that."

Stiles nodded and I knew that by my response he knew the answer. I looked down at my lap, letting his words sink in as both of our hearts broke.

I looked back up at him, the sadness was evident in his eyes. The guilt was eating him alive, I knew it. It was killing me too.

"We need to forget about the kiss."

"I don't think that I can." Stiles said.

"Stiles, Malia is my best friend, not only that, but my sister. She can never know. No one can."

Stiles was silent for a while as he just stared back at me. The hurt on his face was killing me.

"If that's what you want."

It wasn't.

"Can I just ask you one thing, do you...do you have feelings for me?" Stiles spoke quietly.

I couldn't deny that there was nothing there for Stiles. But the timing was off. Maybe if I realized sooner, it would be completely different. But for right now, I just had to shake my head no.

"That doesn't matter." I told him, "Like you said, you're in love with Malia."

I coughed, clearing my throat and then looking down at my study guide, trying my best to distract myself and refocus.

As if it was on cue, Scott sat down beside me and joked, "Is Stiles Stilinski actually studying for something?"

"Very funny, Scott." Stiles rolled his eyes and mocked a laugh.

"Speaking of studying," Kira spoke from behind me with a history textbook in her hand, "Ready for me to quiz you, Lainy?"

"Oh look who decided to finally show up and help me..." I smirked.

"Lainy, it's not my fault that I was being held hostage in Mexico." Kira deadpanned.

"I never want to go to Mexico again," Stiles told us all.

"Oh come on, I hear they have great tourist attractions." I sarcastically said.

Everyone smiled at my comment and it truly felt like at this moment we were all where we needed to be in life. That everything that has happened led us here, and something told me that we were all going to be alright.

"I'll be right back," I said getting up from the chair and walking over toward the textbook section of the library.

I nervously sighed as I stood in front of the history textbook that I had used previously.

I bit down on my lower lip as I pulled it out opening to the very back of the book.

I let out a laugh of disbelief and then smiled brightly at the note that was still there before reading it.

My dearest Lainy,

Please for the love of god pass this history test so you can move on to senior year with me.

You have the brightest future ahead of you, and I don't want a history class to hold you back from that.

Remember, we both promised each other that we would go to Claremont together, and what am I supposed to do if I don't have my best friend by my side?

Exactly. So study.

Good luck on your exam.

Love always,

A.A.

I had to do this for her. Everything that I will do will be for her. I owed it to her.

I look back over at Stiles, Lydia, Kira, Malia, and Scott, who were all sitting at the table laughing with each other. I had a great support group by my side. I knew that with anything, I could count on them.

I smiled as I walked back over to them as they continued to laugh and sat down at my seat.

"So, what did I miss?"

a/n: that was it and now i'm sad. i hope you enjoyed it. all the love i have to give and more <3