twenty four: one last time

+++

I kept a close eye on the young beta, who seemed incredibly tensed. I couldn't blame him though, the full moon was rising and if he couldn't stay under control we'd all be in trouble.

Liam noticed my semi-harsh stare and looked away nervously.

"Hey don't be too hard on the kid," Stiles lightly nudged me.

"I didn't even say anything." I exclaimed sounding defensive.

"You're giving him your famous death glare, knock it off." Stiles said.

"Must be a Hale thing then," I shrugged looking over at Derek.

Derek nodded his head in agreement and then went to pull something out of his pocket, and directed the conversation over to the more dire situation at hand: Liam. "Liam, I brought something that might help. This has been with my family for centuries. It's a very powerful, supernatural talisman. We use it to teach Beta's how to control themselves on a full moon."

Liam reached for the talisman as he held it curiously in his hand. To say he looked unconvinced was an understatement.

Stiles coughed from beside me and nodded his head, "Yes, it's powerful... Very powerful."

I smiled faintly at the memory as I spoke aloud, "My mom used that for me to help control not only my transformation on a full moon, but control my eyes."

Liam's soon began nodding his head, believing the words we had said.

Derek smiled over at me, nodding his head, "This talisman runs in the family, Lainy."

All I could think was Peter. It broke my heart to think that he was my dad. After all these years, our paths crossed again and he didn't even want me to know. But then again, he has told me that he loved me. I didn't know what to believe, because at the end of the day his actions speak louder than words.

+++

After some time, the sun had set completely and we were in complete darkness in the back of a van.

"Whatever you were going to teach me..." Liam began as he tried to control his heavy breaths and squeezing the talisman tightly within his hand, "I think you better start."

Liam looked up at us, his piercing yellow eyes were evident as his teeth began to grow. Beads of sweat were dripping down the sides of his face, and we all knew that soon he would completely loose it.

"Liam, are you with me?" Derek asked moving a little closer to Liam who barely could nod his head, but it was enough for Derek to continue, "We have a mantra that we use. You repeat it, you focus on the words. It's like meditating. You say the words until you feel control coming back to you."

"Okay," Liam spoke as he rocked back and forth, still gripping on the talisman, but this time his claws were evident. "Okay! What are the words?"

"Okay, look at the triskelion. See the symbol? I have a tattoo on my back, it's the same thing. Each spiral means something." Derek spoke with a sense of urgency, as if he knew that soon we would be in danger.

Stiles nodded, "Alpha, Beta, Omega."

"It represents the idea that we can always rise to one and fall back to another. Betas can become Alphas-"

"Alphas can become Betas," Stiles continued.

"Can Alphas become Omegas?" Liam asked.

Derek nodded and then continued giving instruction, "All you have to do is say the three words. And with each one you tell yourself you're getting calmer, you're more in control."