prologue

+++

"Ok, so how long has it been?" Stiles asked clapping his hands together as we try to figure out another mystery.

"Weeks. He hasn't gotten back to any of my texts." Scott sighed.

"Has Derek ever returned your texts?" Stiles asked, almost scoffing at him.

"Once. Definitely once."

"He returns mine all the time," I shrugged and everyone shot me a confused looked causing my eyes to widen and then continued, "but I haven't heard from him in a while either."

"It just felt different this time. So I went to the loft. The alarm was on. Everything looked okay. But then I found these. So I sent a picture of it to Deaton. He said that it's the mark of a family of hunters based out of Mexico. The Calaveras." Scott explained pulling out a bullet from a container.

"What would they want with Derek?" Lydia asked.

"Derek's never been the most friendly person, he probably has made a lot of enemies throughout the years," I suggested with a shrug of my shoulders.

"You don't think they killed him, do you?"

"I-I don't know. That's why you're here." Scott looked over at Lydia before sliding over the canister.

Lydia gave him a confused glance before realizing what he meant. She then reached into the container and grabbed the bullets. She played around with them in her hands while we all watched her intently.

Soon her facial expression dropped completely, the bullets falling to the ground soon after. "Lydia, what? Is he dead?" Stiles asked

Lydia looked around trying to find the words to use to explain what she had just experienced.

"No. But I'm not sure he's alive either."

"What does that mean?"

"I don't know. There's something not right. I just... I don't know." Lydia stated, clearly frustrated with herself.

"So if the Calaveras have him, how do we find them?" I finally asked, not sure what our next move is.

"Mexico." Scott stated bluntly and then let out a heavy sigh, "We leave tonight. Let the other's know."

+++

Minutes before I knew Stiles was going to arrive in his jeep I began throwing random items in my backpack. I was being incredibly careless and rushing everything, but Stiles was going to be here any second and I needed to hurry.

"Where ya heading?" My uncle asked from my doorway, causing me to jump.

I let out a deep sigh before turning around. I wasn't planning on telling him anything, but every since everything happened he's been hovering over me like a hawk. Not because he can't trust me, but because he's more concerned for my safety.

"Camping," I answered blankly.

"Camping..." He repeated slowly, and narrowing his eyes at me not believing a single word I was saying to him.

"Yep...camping," I nodded and then whispered before turning around to face my bed again, "In Mexico."

"Mexico?" He exclaimed obviously hearing me, "Absolutely not, Elaine Barnes."

"But-"

"No, no buts Elaine." He yelled, "I know what's best for you."

"No, you don't. I know what's best for me." I argued, "Stop acting like you're my dad or something."

"Elaine, I am your legal guardian and I am responsible for your safety." He argued, "I'm not letting you go. Your mother placed you in my hands and I intend to keep you safe for the sake of her-"

"Why do you have to bring her up?"

"I'm only telling you what she wanted from me," he said sounding more calm.

"No, you use her to try to guilt me when I do something that you don't want me to do." I argued, "Mom would've wanted me to help. Mom would've wanted me to fight along side my pack, not only that but my friends. You don't know her as much as you think you do. You were never around when I was growing up, you weren't there when she died. You know nothing about her."

He stood there, staring blankly at me, his eyes full of shock and pain. I didn't want to hurt him, but he was being incredibly unreasonable, and we both knew that I was right.

I was going to shout something but Stiles jeep beeping beat me to it. And I was almost positive that was a good thing because I knew that what I would said would've been something I would regret.

My uncle raised his eyebrows at me, waiting to see what my next move will be. There was so much pain in his eyes, but I knew what I had to do.

"I'm sorry," I sighed throwing my backpack over my shoulder and brushing past him. "But I' going."

"Elaine!" He called after me but I didn't care.

I was gone and once again ready to face another challenge.

a/n: guess who's back, back again saigey's back, tell a friend...yes I'm back! I took a little hiatus but I am way too excited for this book so I just had to publish!! The updates will take a little longer than usual, but I'm hoping for weekly updates. If not, I apologize. I love you all and the support I've received is amazing. just wait...there's so much more to come.

love always,

saige.