eighteen: post break up

+++

"Lainy, what's wrong? You've been sort of off all day," Scott observed.

I looked up at him and shook my head and give him a shrug with a small smile, "I'm fine."

He gave me a disappointed look.

"No...no. There's something you aren't telling me." He shook his head.

"What? You think I'm hiding something from you?" I inquired with my eyebrows raised.

"Yes, Lainy. Because there's always something that you're hiding from me." He sounded angry.

I paused looking back at his harsh glare.

"We're not together anymore, Scott. I don't have to tell you everything." I said, and I knew I sounded harsh.

I immediately regretted it when I saw the pain flash past his eyes.

"I thought we were going to make this whole friendship thing work," Scott reminded me with a mocking tone.

I held a hard glare with him, knowing he was right. At the end of the day, we were still in the same pack and that meant no secrets. I desperately wanted to keep my friendship with him. If I don't love him as a lover, I would love him as a friend.

"I have to fight my old pack," I explained to Scott.

His eyes grew ten times the size as he stared back at me in disbelief.

"The pack that you ran away from?" He asked for clarification, shock still written on his face.

"Yeah," I nodded sheepishly.

"The pack that also happens to want you dead?"

"Mhm..." I hummed placing my textbook in my locker

"And you think that's a good idea?"

I shrugged, knowing that is really wasn't the best idea, but it was what I had to do.

"That-That is the worst idea!" Scott exclaimed.

"Well if I don't fight back, they'll kill me. And I can't keep running away."

"I'm going to fight for you."

"Scott, this isn't your battle." I sighed turning to face him, and then shutting my locker.

"Well going alone would be stupid and suicidal, Elaine." He argued.

"Do you not think I'm capable of fighting for myself?" I asked, tilting my head to the side and feeling slightly offended. I could feel myself becoming very defensive, and I knew that this was quickly growing into an argument.

He remained silent and my eyes widened in bewilderment.

"Oh my god, you don't think I can fight for myself." I stated, incredibly offended.

"Lainy-"

"Scott, from the day I was born I was trained and taught how to fight and defend myself from anything. I'm more capable of this than you think."

"Elaine, they want you dead."

"This is what I have to do, Scott." I stated stubbornly. I wasn't going to let him convince me this was a bad idea, no matter how right he was. I needed to do this. "They killed my mom."

"And they'll kill you too, I don't want that to happen." Scott said softly this time. "Please, Lainy...please don't do anything stupid."

I paused, there was no words I could come up with that would give him the response he wanted.