twenty: finding hope

THIRD PERSON POV

"We got an APB out on Lainy, and Parrish is out with a few of our deputies looking around the preserve." Sheriff explained to Mr. Barnes, Stiles, and Scott. "We'll find her."

"How can you be so sure?" Mr. Barnes asked trying his best not to lash out.

Mr. Barnes saw the note, he read it about fifty time. He knew that if she wasn't found today, she would be dead by morning.

Sheriff sighed. He couldn't lie to this man.

"I'm not."

Stiles and Scott exchanged a worried glance.

Scott then spoke up, "We have Malia out in the preserve right now, trying to find her scent. Mason is checking the school with Liam. And Derek is trying to get in contact with Ethan who was working on the inside with Emmett."

Mr. Barnes nodded, feeling grateful for the amount of people Lainy had that cared for her and were looking for her.

"Thank you." He said sincerely to Scott.

"Of course," Scott replied.

As the minutes ticked by slowly, the pack was at a lost. There was barely any hope that they were holding onto at the moment. Malia returned a half an hour ago, saying she had looked at every possible place in the preserve because she knew that area better than anyone else, but there was no trace of Lainy. They had faith that they would find her, but when there's nothing they could use to refill the faith, then it decreases. Everyone was on edge; no one was acting like themselves.

"I should've followed her," Liam whispered and then looked up at Scott, "I knew she was lying to me. I could've done something."

Liam felt incredibly guilty. He knew something was off with Lainy this afternoon when he saw her, but he didn't think it would be as serious as what actually happened.

"Liam, no one knew she was doing this." Lydia reassured, "No one should be blaming themselves for this." She then looked over at Scott, who had his head bowed.

Lydia then stood up walking towards the kitchen to refill her cup of coffee, none of them have been sleeping as they've been thinking of plans and ideas all night. But everything seemed to be hopeless, they all knew that each of them were all slowly giving up, but Scott couldn't let that happen.

Scott took in a deep sigh before stating, "Guys we can't give up just like this."

"Scott, no one said anything about giving up," Kira replied, shaking her head as she sat next to him on the couch.

Scott quickly whipped his head over to where Stiles was sitting. His elbows were resting on his knees, while he held his head in his heads. Scott could smell the worry on him.

"Stiles," Scott said quickly causing him to look up at me, "You always have a plan."

Stiles shrugged, "Scott we've tried everything, we've looked all over Beacon Hills. Chances are she isn't even here anymore."

Stiles hated how doubtful he was being. He didn't want to believe that Lainy wasn't here anymore. He wanted to keep holding onto the idea that she was okay, but after that note he read countless times, he knew that it wasn't true.

"Scott," Malia said, "Stiles is right. She could be anywhere right now. She could even be de-"

"No!" Scott exclaimed interrupting her. Everyone looked at him, startled by the volume and aggressiveness of his voice. Scott took another deep breath and then looked down, "She can't be."