three: an encounter

+++

We all stood around Derek in his teenage state, as he rested on Deaton's examination table.

Deaton let out a sigh and then said, "Wow."

"Wow?" Stiles repeated and then continued, "Wow, as in, 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do,' kind of wow? Because that's the kind of wow we were hoping for."

Deaton gave Stiles a concerned look and shook his head, "I think you might be overestimating my abilities."

"Well, we have no one else that we know of who can help." I sighed.

Lydia reached for his hand, holding it gently, "He's cold...really cold."

Deaton grabbed his other hand and nodded in agreement.

Scott's eyes narrowed as he stared down at Derek's unconscious body, "Do you think this is permanent?"

"I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate," he responded as he began to check Derek's pupils. He shook his head again, "This is well beyond my experience."

"So what do we do?" Stiles inquired leaning against the table.

Deaton shrugged, almost looking hopeless, "Until he wakes up? Probably not much. It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here."

"You mean from Kate, right?" I questioned carefully looking up at him.

"If she's alive, and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate."

Lydia then asked, "Why would she want to do this to him?"

"Knowing Kate it's probably for a reason that won't be any good for anyone but her," Deaton answered sounding worried.

"And bad for everyone else," Stiles whispered.

I scoffed in annoyance, crossing my arms over my chest, "Of course."

Deaton looked around at all of us, noticing how exhausted we all were, "You all should probably go home."

"But-" I began to argue, letting my stubbornness come out.

"Elaine," he was quick to interrupt me, "He doesn't look to be in any danger. So, you all should go get some sleep, it's a school night. And you all need to start taking care of your own lives again. Try to be teenagers."

"Someone should stay with you," Scott suggested.

"I'll stay," Lydia spoke up volunteering herself, "My grades are fine...despite missing a few classes."

"I'm so not okay with this," Stiles exclaimed shaking his head.

"I'll stay with her," I proposed stepping forward.

Scott quickly pulled me back, "And I'm not okay with this. You need sleep, Lainy."

"Guys, go." Lydia nodded.

"No." Stiles said, still arguing.

"Text us if anything happens!" I called after her as we walked out of the room.

"Nope, still not okay with it. Not going anywhere." Stiles tried to stand his ground but I just rolled my eyes tugging on Stiles arm, while Scott pulled me out of the room. "All right, just 'cause you're stronger. Yep got it."

+++

I felt my hair being brushed out of my face, while I squeeze my eyes shut and let out a soft exhale.