twelve: it's obvious

+++

"Hey, where's Kira, Lydia and Stiles?" Malia asked as she sat down in front of me for class, just as the bell rang.

I looked around the room, completely oblivious to the fact that they weren't here yet.

I let out a heavy sigh, "I wish I could tell you."

Malia frowned before pulling out her textbook and getting ready for class to begin.

"Has anyone seen Stiles, Lydia or Kira today?" Our teacher asked looking around the classroom and then directly at Malia and I, "Malia, Lainy...any idea where your friends are?"

"No idea," I told her.

"I could try catching their scent." Malia suggested.

I closed my eyes tightly, cringing at what she said.

The teacher nodded, "Right. How about I just mark them down as absent." She put down her clipboard and began lecturing.

However, Malia's focus seemed to be lacking more than usual as she looked at a different spot in the room every few seconds. As if she was searching for something.

"Okay, everyone, let's begin with last night's homework."

Malia quickly packed up her bag and began walking up to leave the room. My mouth hung open with confusion as I watched her.

"Malia...do you need to be excused from class?" The teacher asked.

"Yeah."

I let out a huff, and impulsively began following after her.

Walking passed my teacher with a completely dumbfounded expression on her face I quickly said, "I'm so sorry."

I walked down the hallway, following Malia's sent. When I finally caught up to her I was shocked to see her standing with Derek.

"What's going on?" I asked slowly.

"I need to find Brett's pack and warn them about the dead pool." Derek explained, "So we need to go find them."

"We?" I repeated looking from Derek to Malia, confused on how I got roped into this.

"We." Malia nodded tossing me the jersey.

+++

Malia, Derek, and I stepped out of his car and began walking in the preserve.

"Their Alpha is a woman named Satomi." Derek explained, "She's one of the oldest werewolves alive. And she's learned a lot."

Malia inquired, "What does that mean?"

"She's a bitten werewolf. Learning control wasn't easy for her. She did something a long time ago that changed her." Derek answered.

I took in a deep breath and stopped walking to try and focus. Malia must've smelt the same thing because we both looked at each other.

"What is it?" Derek asked us.

"Gun powder." Malia stated.

I began looking around for the trace of the sent when I noticed a bronze cylinder hidden within the leaves.

I tapped Derek's chest, gesturing to the piece.

Derek bent down to grab the bullet. He let out a heavy sigh, "If Brett's pack is out here, I don't think they're meeting. They're hiding."

+++

"I'm sorry," Malia sighed as we all sat in back in Derek's car.

We had just spent the past few hours trying to search for the pack, but none of us could catch their scent. If they didn't want to be found, then they were doing a damn good job at it.