ten: search for cipher keys

+++

"It's a dead pool. A hit list of supernatural creatures. This is only part of it. The rest still has to be decoded." Scott explained as Sherrif, Stiles, Scott and I looked down at the list of the names of supernatural creatures

"Who found this list?" Sheriff asked.

"Lydia."

"How?"

"She wrote it." Stiles answered, and then elaborated, "Actually, she transcribed it. Without realizing it."

"Banshee?

Stiles nodded, "Banshee."

"Beautiful." Sheriff whispered and then asked, trying to gather more information, "All right, what are these numbers next to the names?"

"We're getting to that. But, you need to know that the code was broken with a cipher key." I told him.

"Wait. You mean, like a... Like a key word?"

I looked down and spoke gently, "It's actually a name."

There was silence as we all recall the death of one of our closest friends

"Allison." Scott said quietly.

"Her name broke a third of the list." I added.

"And now we think there's two other cipher keys." Scott nodded to Sheriff.

"Which will give us the rest of the names?" Sheriff asked, still trying to grasp everything that we were telling him.

We all nodded.

"Okay. So how do we get the cipher keys?" Sheriff inquired.

Stiles began explaining, "Same way we got the code."

"Lydia. She's been out at the lake house all weekend trying to find the other two key words." I informed Sheriff.

"You didn't know about Demarco or Carrie. Hmm? And what about these other two names on the list? Uh, Kayleen Bettcher and Elias Town. They werewolves too?"

Scott shook his head, "I don't know. But Deaton said that the Nemeton would draw supernatural creatures here."

"Here being Beacon Hills? Or Beacon County? The population of Beacon Hills is just under 30,000."

"And dropping..." Stiles added and I gave him a dark glare.

"But if we're talking Beacon County, then you're looking at close to 500,000." Sheriff took a seat and let out a deep sigh, "Look, how many werewolves, banshees, kitsunes, Imperio Ocolo and whatever the hell else is out there are we talking about?"

"Imperium Ocolorum." I corrected Sherriff and he looked up at me with an expression that read that he couldn't care less. I nodded in understanding and then told him, "You'll get it one day."