seven: unsuccessful plans

+++

"Isn't the captain supposed to be one of the best players on the team? Or like...at least good?" Kira asked as she watched Scott out on the field.

I immediately shot her a harsh glare, my lips in a tight thin line while my eyes narrowed at her.

Her mouth hung open as she tried to come up with something to say, but all that came out was air.

"He is good." I told her and then sighed as I watched Scott struggle out on the field. I then whispered and rested my head in my hands, "he's just having a rough day."

"Speaking of rough days," Malia said looking over at me, "How are you? You reek of anxiety."

I rubbed my face wishing she didn't mention it.

"I just have a lot on my mind, that's all." I answered vaguely.

"Oh, come on Lainy," Malia exaggeratedly rolled her eyes.

"My uncle had a job interview today," I confessed, "I'm just nervous, that's all."

"He still hasn't found a job yet?" Malia whispered, now sounding more sympathetic.

Malia was the only one who knew about my uncle losing his job. I didn't even want to tell her, unfortunately she was over at the time my uncle came home in hysterics. Malia and I have grown very close over the past few weeks that I've known her, despite the first encounter we had when she punched me in the jaw.

"No, but he told me he was feeling good about this one today before he left," I said on a more positive note, "So hopefully we'll have good news later today."

"I hope so too," Malia softly smiled at me.

"Yes!" Kira then cheered, completely disregarding our conversation though I wasn't upset that she did.

"That's how you do it! That's how it's done!" Coach exclaimed.

Malia furrowed her eyebrows at what was happening on the field and then impulsively stood up and shouted, "That was luck!"

"Oh no, Malia. Don't get involved." Stiles whispered from the field.

"Mal, sit down." I begged, pulling harshly on her sleeve.

"Do-over!" Malia then yelled ignoring my begging.

"Sweetheart, there's no do-overs. This is a practice." Coach shook his head.

Malia pursed her lips together tightly and then stated, "Ten bucks on Scott and Stiles

Malia pursed her lips together tightly and then stated, "Ten bucks on Scott and Stiles."

My eyes widened at her comment, while Scott and Stiles dropped their jaws as they just stared at Malia.

"I'll take that action," Coach smirked and then turned around to face the team, "Hey! Get back in there, Liam." Coach ordered.

And I was afraid to watch, Stiles and Scott couldn't risk embarrassing themselves all over again.