fourteen: sick as a wolf

+++

Within twenty minutes the school was swarmed with individuals in hazmat suits and they were setting up pod tents, with beds located on the inside. That is where the infected students went, assuming that they were contaminating the air.

"Bet they're thinking smallpox." Stiles said as he, Malia and I sat on the desks, just waiting.

"Not likely," Simon commented from the desk, "Smallpox was eradicated worldwide in 1979. We've only managed to completely eradicate two viruses in history. The other was rinderpest. It killed cows."

I looked at him suspiciously. There was something about this man that felt off to me.

"So we should be comforted by that, right?" Stiles asked sarcastically.

Simon raised his eyebrows and shrugged, "Unless it's something worse."

"Whatever it is, they're taking it pretty seriously." Malia sighed, "They're a lot of cars and trucks out there."

We're doing the best we can. I heard Sheriff say from outside.

"Your dad's with them." I stated looking up at Stiles.

Stiles got up from the desk, "I should probably call him." He sighed.

"Don't bother. They would have shut off any access to all outside communication by now. No cell service, no WiFi. No one starting a panic. Looks like we're all just going to have to wait here and see what happens." Simon chimed in again.

I let out a groan and rolled my eyes, "Shut up."

Mr. Yukimura then opened the door and locked eyes with me immediately, "Lainy...something's happening with Scott."

The only thought that was racing through my mind was that the dead pool was somehow involved. And with that being said we were in the presence in another assassin.

+++

"It's still happening," Mr. Yukimura sighed after looking into Scott's eyes that were transforming from red to brown.

"I can't make them go back," Malia stated holding up her claws as beads of sweat began dripping down her forehead.

"Obviously the virus is affecting the two of you in a way it won't hit any human being..." Mr. Yukimura told us and then turned to me, "Lainy, how are you feeling?"

"Um...I'm fine," I lied to them.

Truth it, my eyes were continuing to fade in and out. Either everyone was there, or it was complete darkness.

"Lainy..." Mr. Yukimura sighed, "I'm over here."

I took a deep breath and turned my body to Mr. Yukimura who was standing behind me.

"My vision keeps going in and out." I told them truthfully.

"Oh..." Mr. Yukimura inhaled deeply, "It must be affecting the power in your eyes then."

I heard only his voice as my vision become blurry and faded to nothing but black. I squeezed my eyes shut and was met with Scott in front of me when I opened them. The background was fuzzy but his face was clear as day. The features on his face were growing weaker.

I didn't say anything, I just nodded as I felt my face become warm from a fever.

"You guys have to stay out of sight...we have to quarantine you," Stiles said, "From the quarantine."

"Yeah, but where? I mean, what if they get violent?"  Kira inquired, "Like on a full moon."

"We shouldn't stay in here," Scott shook his head, "Not in the locker room."