You attempted another shot. This one was way short, but was on line with the basket at least.

Dinah collected the basketball and came up behind you. She adjusted your arms with her hands, getting them in the proper position.

"Hold your follow through this time," she suggested quietly, her mouth not far from your ear. When she stepped back, you followed her instruction, and the ball banked off the glass and through the net.

"Not too shabby, Y/N," she complimented, scooping up the ball and shooting a layup.

"Good thing my parents aren't here. They'd sign me up for all sorts of basketball camps."

"For making one shot?"

"Sports are God to them."

"That sucks."

"Yeah."

Craning your neck, you saw that
Mrs. Adams was asleep at her desk, her head lolled to one side. Seeing as it was safe, you slid down the wall and sat with your legs out in front of you. The taller Polynesian continued to shoot baskets, sometimes adding in different moves. She rarely missed.

"Y'know, Dinah," you said, crossing your arms. "You're pretty good."

She smiled, but didn't make eye contact. She made another jump shot from the elbow. "Thanks."

"I'm serious, DJ. You should try out for the school team."

"The school team?" Dinah laughed, looking at you. She propped the ball up on her hip. "Really?"

"I don't see why not."

"I'll think about it."

-

Gym passed with nothing much else happening. Dinah continued to be a far superior athlete, and you continued to sit by the wall. After the hour of physical education, it was time for lunch.

"Who do you normally sit with?" You asked the taller girl once you both changed.

Dinah opened the locker room door for you, entering the crowded hallway. "No one, really. Camila and Normani both have cheer at lunch, and the only friend I've made is you."

"So will you join me and Ally and Lauren?"

"I don't see why not."

Once you two had grabbed trays full of food, you led Dinah to your circular table in the far corner of the lunch room, wedged in between the skaters and nerds.

At the table sat your best friend, Lauren Jauregui. She wore her usual black leather jacket, white t-shirt, and black skinny jeans. You couldn't see her shoes, but you would bet money that they were combat boots. Next to her sat Lauren's secret crush and your second best friend, Ally Brooke. She was basically Jesus.

"Hey, Lo. Hi, Ally," you greeted upon reaching the table. You took the a seat across from Ally and Lauren, Dinah joining you.

"I'm pissed," Lauren stated bluntly, picking at her sandwich.

"Why?" You asked.

"Because Barnes told me if I parked my Harley in his spot one more time that he'd suspend me."

"Well, Lauren, he is the principle, and there is a sign..." You rationalized. Lauren huffed and leaned back in her seat.

"So, who's this?" Ally ventured, a bright smile on her face.

"I'm Dinah," the girl said, shaking Ally's outstretched hand.

"I'm Ally. And this little angel," she nudged the green eyed girl, "is Lauren. Nice to meet you."

"Same to you."

Lauren sat back up. "You're in our art class, right?"

Dinah nodded. "Mhm."

"Cool."

A few moments of silence passed, an awkward air descending over the table, probably because of the unknown variable in Dinah. Lauren ate her sandwich, Ally leaned back in her chair and braided Lauren's hair, and Dinah just gazed around the room absentmindedly while you stared at her. After more silence, Lauren shook her head and sighed loudly, leaning back in her chair.

"Guys, this is awkward," she said as Ally finished the braid. "Let's just hang out after school."

"I have no life, so I'm in," you agreed, and Ally nodded as well.

"I'm going to Mani's house later. Sorry," Dinah added, an apologetic expression on her face.

"It's cool," you assured. "Are we still on?"

Lauren nodded as the lunch bell rang.

"See you later, Dinah," you told her, pushing in your chair.

"See you later."

_______________________

Thanks for reading once again.
What'd you think?