Tell Me

A/N: Hey, this is edited for once!

Aphmau's POV:

I hadn't told anybody about what happened back at the Base.

I hadn't told them about the mystery man.

The next day at school I had apologized to Emmalyn for making her cover for us. No matter how many times she said it was okay, I still felt bad.

That day was, strangely enough, normal. No fights, no clues, nothing. Well, except for one thing...

I'll get to that later.

And then Friday came along..

I slung my backpack over my shoulder and briskly walked to the back of the Library. No one was ever there at lunch, even the librarian was no where in sight. I plopped myself down on a beanbag in a secluded, dark corner and got out my journal.

Now, the scary thing about what that guy had said at the base wasn't just that he knew something we didn't, but the fact that the morning after I woke up with a text.

One that gave me the sinking suspicion it was from him.

What the text had read gave me chills,

History repeats itself, don't be the fool who gets taken by surprise.

I tried messaging back, even calling the number,  but all I got was a message saying it didn't exist.

I was afraid sooner or later the others were going realize something was off about me, but I couldn't help but be stressed.

I couldn't fail again, not after last time. Before, I was so confident in myself when it came to missions, so sure we could take on whatever the world threw at us, but now?

I was scared.

Scared that I would fail them all like I did the night of the dance.

This is the only lead I've got, I have to take it.

I knew my journal had belonged to my mother, so it had pages full of things she had wrote. I was always too nervous to read, every time I tried the memories of the massacre flashed through my head, causing me to stop.

This time however, I had to.

Opening the book, I flipped the pages and stopped at a random one.

Anything I try won't work. Perhaps they were right, I'm doomed after all. He won't let me give up, but I already have. Maybe I won't live, but they will, they have to. All of us are tired, this war has gone on for too long. Understand this, you are the key.

I stopped reading after the first paragraph. It was strange, the writing seemed choppy, like she was carefully planning her sentences. 'Understand this, you are the key'? Who is she talking to? Did she know someone was going to read it? I was about to continue when a hand slammed on the book.

Not even flinching, I looked up.

"What's going on?" It was Zane.

"Come again?" I played dumb, not once missing a beat.

"Look, you know I know you're hiding something. Yesterday only confirmed my suspicions-"