Chapter 20 - It's Safe To Come Out Now

"Clarke? Is that you?"

Clarke's eyes focused and realized she was looking right at Kane. She immediately ran to him and embraced him. "Oh my god, Kane!" He looked skinny. Awfully skinny. Were they starving down here?

"My mom. Where is my mom?"

"Follow me, I'll take you to her." Kane said as he grabbed Clarke's hand and led her down into the bunker.

"We heard you for hours trying to dig today. Do you have heavy machinery up there?" Kane said with a giggle.

"Actually - we do. It's a long story. Let's get everyone out of here first. The Earth is safe."

Kane nodded and continued to lead Clarke. Bellamy went back to the surface and motioned for Raven, Monty, Harper, Murphy, Emori, and Echo to come down to help.

Clarke forgot how long the tunnels were to get to the main rooms of the bunker. She felt like she was running forever - but it may have been because she was so thrilled. Excited. Nervous. She hadn't seen her family and friends in 6 years. What if everyone didn't make it? 

Kane finally stopped and looked back at Clarke. They had reached the Chancellor's office. Clarke took a deep breath and walked into the room. There stood her mom. She was skinny like Kane, and you could tell she was tired. He hair was starting to grey - but she was still her beautiful mom.

"Mom?" Clarke said as she started to cry.

"Clarke?" Abby said as she ran towards her. They both embraced one another and cried to each other.

"Look at you." Abby said. "You have aged into such a beautiful woman Clarke. I am so proud of you for surviving. I thought about you everyday."

"I missed you, mom... so much. And I realize now what it takes to be a mom. Your such a good mom..." Clarke said as the tears continued to roll down her face.

Abby looked confused. She didn't know what Clarke meant about her comment she just made. 

"Mom, where is Octavia? Please tell me she's alive. Bellamy is worried sick."

Abbey smiled. "She's alive Clarke. She is probably with the grounders - uh, with the others. We have been trying to eliminate the term "sky people" and "grounder" but you can see how well it's going even after 6 years."

Clarke nodded and Abby and her went to find Octavia.

Abby led Clarke down a few levels into the bunker and took her to a set of living quarters. You could tell that the grounders had occupied this space. Even after all this time, had they not learned to live together? They turned a corner and Clarke could hear chatting. Pretty soon, she saw the back of a tall, skinny girl with her dark brown hair pulled up. Octavia.

"O?"

Clarke turned around to see Bellamy behind her. He was on the verge of tears. Octavia turned around to face both of them.

"Bell?" Octavia said. Confused. Was it really her big brother?

Bellamy ran to Octavia as fast as he could. They met each other with an embrace.

"Hey big brother" Octavia said. 

Bellamy smiled. "Look how big you've got."

Clarke and Abby looked to each other and smiled. "Can we go talk, mom?"

"Of course, Clarke. Can we go outside first?"Abby said with a smile.

"That sounds great."

The two walked towards the first floor of the bunker. Before Abby stepped foot on the ladder, she made an announcement over the intercom system.

"It's safe to come out now. The bunker door is open to anyone who wants to come."