Prologue

Brief A/N: (spoilers but) Gershwin and Iris are NOT siblings. They grew up together. They were best buds and then... you'll see. Iris is Aang's sister. As to why they live in different temples, I explain it further into the story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The meditation was one of the most peaceful things in the Air Nomad training schedule. They all gathered around an encircled room deep within the tower of the Western Air Temple. They used to cross their legs, close their eyes and meditate. There have been rumors from all the Great Monks who managed to enter the Spirit World and spent years and days in it without the slightest taste and need of food or water.

But the young learners were taught to meditate for only a few hours. She hadn't become a Master of her Air Bending but her Mentor had promised her that she would earn her tattoos soon. Peace like this couldn't last for too long.

It never did.

One of the younger Monks barged in the room. They all snapped their eyes open and greeted, with their gazes, their fellow air bender.

"The Fire Nation is here. We need to evacuate the Temple," He said panicked.

They all woke up and they started running hastily out of the room. There was chaos at the halls and the corridors and each part of the Temple. What was once an old building that held nothing but children's laughs, the chirping of birds and peace, was now merely a block of walls that held chaos. While being shoved and bumped away by the other panicked airbenders who ran around the corridors trying desperately to escape, her gaze fell on one familiar figure. He was looking around as if he was searching for someone.

"Gershwin!" she shouted and she placed her hand on his shoulder making him turn around and look at her.

He recognized her and he hugged her. They've been close friends since they were children and they had grown closer to something more than just a mere friendship. Gershwin pulled himself away quickly wrapping her elbows with his arms.

"Iris, you need to get out of here. It's not safe, firebenders are raiding the Temple," He said. An ounce of panic in his eyes as he locked them upon hers.

"I'm not leaving without you!" she said stubbornly.

"Iris, I can't come with you. I need to go help on the front," He said glaring at the other corridor that led in the main courtyard of the Temple. Gershwin looked back at her and cupped her face "Please, you have to go. You have to survive. I- I can't lose you!"

"I cannot lose you either, Gershwin!" she insisted grabbing his shoulders with her arms keeping him close. He didn't know what to say, he knew he couldn't stop her "Raise, or fall, together," she said cupping his face.

He bit his lip knowing that he would regret letting her stay. They both turned around at the sound of someone's voice.

"Brothers, sisters, they need help on the front. Whoever is under the age of fourteen must leave, the rest of you come with me. We need to give, the younger, time to escape,"

They turned and looked at each other "You need to get out of here," he said.

"I'm nearly fifteen, I'm coming with you!" She said stubbornly.

She wrapped his hand and they started running out from the building to the front courtyard where the oldest airbenders were trying to fight the firebenders off.

All they saw, was the terrifying image of war. Airbenders and Fire Nation soldiers maniacally crushing together. Most of them had already fallen dead and their lifeless bodies were spread all over the floor of the courtyard.