Chapter Forty-Three - The Awakening

Sorry, guys, if this is a big, boring chapter.

 I'll try to make things a little more interesting since there's not going to be a lot of Zuko, at least in the first chapters of the 3rd Season. 

But I hope you'll like it!

>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<

Katara sat once again in her cabin. It's been a long day and everyone else had set off to sleep. She walked towards her desk where the papers from the last days were filled with the facts she wrote with pencil. She found once again a blank paper and she started writing.

Iris finally woke up. I have to admit, I did not expect that. The lightning had only a few inches missed her heart. I myself didn't have hopes she'd ever make it. There's some hope now, at least, even if we can barely see it.

It's been a week and I'm worried about her. We all are. Sokka tried to talk to her but she doesn't speak, she barely eats, she only walks out of her room only to get to Aang's or help Sokka with the Invasion plans. She would spend entire nights by her brother's side holding his hand, crying. I know that she loves Aang more than anything and being nearly dead has completely broken her.

We all try to help her... but what can we do when she doesn't even want help herself? It seems that she no longer cares about herself. Most of the hours of the day she spends them helping Sokka and dad to the plans of the Invasion or beside her brother.

During the healing sessions, I've been giving her, I've tried to make her speak about what happened. Maybe talking about it will make her feel better. But she refuses each time I bring it up.

I can't understand what went wrong. When we were at the Crystal Catacombs they seemed so happy together. But now I understand that he fooled us both.

How could he do this to us... to her? She seemed to be the only person in his life that had ever truly loved him and he almost killed her.

We all want to know what happened those days they spent together but we don't want to push her. The gang has missed her though. Sokka, Toph, Bato... they have all missed her sarcastic comments. I have missed her as much as I have missed Aang.

I know I've written this before but... 

...Wake up Aang, if not for me then do it or Iris, she needs you.

Katara stopped writing. The pit in her stomach became worse and the tears that slipped from her eyes watered her cheeks. She tried to seem strong, for Iris, for Toph... for Aang.

Katara finally let go of her tears and she rested her head on her hands feeling a terrible sob escaping her. She had missed Aang so much. Katara might have spent every moment of every day beside him trying to wake him but he still seemed to be far, far away.

>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<

Iris once again knelt beside her brother's bed. Her shaky, cold hand took Aang's arm in hers. She had only been awake for a week but still, the pain was just the same as it was at first.

The lightning successfully helped add another one scar in her collection. It was bigger than all the others she ever had but Katara said that it would heal, in time.

"I don't want to fight you!"

"You're fighting my brother, is just the same as fighting me!"