Chapter Ten - Winter Solstice Part 3: Avatar Roku and his Defender

After some hours of flying, Aang's, weary and boringly looking, eyes finally caught a glimpse of the island. He jumped from his place and he said "There it is! The Island where Roku's dragon took us," he said excitedly.

The two siblings and Iris got at the front side of the saddle and they glanced at the small Island with a temple on it and a volcano with many rivers of lava around it. There was no greenery at all. They eventually landed on it some meters away from the rivers of lava and close to the shore. Sitting on a saddle for an entire day was enough to feel the need to stretch their hands and their feet.

Appa tiredly lied on the shore. Katara walked towards the bison and started rubbing its huge belly. "Oh you must be tired,"

"No, I'm good, refreshed, and ready to fight some fire benders," Sokka said stretching his arms.

"She was talking to Appa," Iris said crossing her arms against her chest.

"Well... I was talking to Momo," Sokka said pointing his thumbs at the lemur that hung from the trunk of a tree behind him.

"Yeah, sure," Iris said inconveniently looking at the young teenager raising an eyebrow and he looked at her frowning.

After stretching their hands they finally started walking on a path that led right into the entrance of the temple. They altogether hid beneath the path and glared at the entrance.

"I don't see any guards," Sokka said.

"There are no guards here, only five Sages, we better approach cautiously," Iris suggested.

Sokka turned and looked at her suspiciously "How do you know?" he asked.

"I've been on that island before," Iris answered.

"Okay, you better give me some good explanations when we get out of this," He said pointing at her.

She couldn't help but roll her eyes. He's been somehow always overprotective to her even if he didn't have the skills. That was annoying but in a way it was... nice.

"Let's go," Aang said and they all started walking towards the entrance of the Temple as cautiously as she had suggested.

"Wait, I heard something," Sokka said making everyone turn around only to see five old people wearing almost the same clothes. "So much for being cautious," Sokka said raising an eyebrow and looking at Iris who gave him a deadly look in return.

"We are the Fire Sages, Defenders of the Temple of the Avatar," The old man said.

"Great, I'm the Avatar," Aang said making a step further.

"We know," The old man said getting in his stance and shooting a blast of fire towards Aang.

Iris reflexes kicked in and she jumped right in front of her brother using air bending to set the fire in a different direction. She sent another air blast towards the Sages that made the old people fall behind and crash on the ground.

"Go, I'll distract them!" Iris shouted at the others behind her.

"Iris your hand is still wounded, I'll stay with you!" Aang said getting in his stance beside his sister.

"Guys there is no time for a fight, the sun is about to set!" Katara shouted.

"Let's go!" Sokka said.

They all together started running around. The two air benders used their bending to speed their running searching around the temple for the room Roku's dragon had taken them.