Chapter Forty-Two - Afterwards

Part One: Escape to the Spirit World (For the Defender)

There was no pain anymore. Iris opened her eyes and she woke up easily. She looked around her only to see a strange place with strange plants all around her.

What the hell is going on?

She managed to make a step further and she looked at the lake that encircled the small part of earth she was standing on. She saw Gershwin's reflection on the lake.

"Gershwin!" Iris gasped surprised. Gershwin got out of the water and she said "You're mad at me aren't you?" she asked.

"Why would I be mad at you?" Gershwin asked.

"I... let my feelings blind me. I loved him and he... he killed my brother maybe me too," Iris said disappointedly, heart aching remembering what had happened. She would have cried if she wasn't a spirit.

"Iris, it's okay to love someone. When I told you that there's someone out there who loves you more than anything, I meant it," Gershwin said giving her a warm smile.

Iris stared at him. The painful expression disappeared to confusion. She remembered that moment. It was on the Solstice when they had gotten to Crescent Island. "Wait, you..." Iris hesitated, trying to believe it "...you knew this would happen?" she asked confusedly.

Gershwin just nodded and he took a deep breath to speak "Listen to me, Iris, your inner spirit is badly wounded and soon when you'll return back this dark entity will take over you. If that happens the Avatar will die, the world will be engulfed in chaos and both the Avatar and Defender Cycles will be over unless you regain your connection," he explained.

"How do I regain my connection?" Iris asked half worried half frightened.

"Look back, find the first Defender you need to learn how Defenders first started and what this dark entity is," Gershwin said as he pushed her away.

Only then she realized that she was flying for some reason. The Spirit World was indeed a strange place. She finally saw a man in front of her. He had a half arrow on his head like all the ancient Air Nomads used to have. He stared at her and he just smiled. Something about him felt familiar.

"Are you the first Defender?" Iris asked.

"That's right," He answered "My name is Chensong, I was from the Eastern Air Temple and Defender of the very first Avatar, Avatar Wan,"

"Do you know what this 'dark entity' is?" Iris asked.

"Yes, and I can help you find it...

~ {0} ~ (=vision)

...in my time there were no Defenders. There was just a Tribe up in the North of Air Benders who used to have the ability to read people's minds, change their thoughts and their beliefs. What gave them that power was the Black Crystals. Those Crystals had healing abilities, controlling the human mind which automatically healed the body depending on their beliefs.

The MaiFu people used to wear wooden necklaces that had fragments of those crystals inside. Thus, they carried that power everywhere.

After the Harmonic Convergence, ten thousand years ago, Avatar Wan became the Bridge between the Spirit World and the Mortal World. The World entered an era of peace. With Avatar Wan keeping balance the MaiFu Tribe built the first Air Temple at the North and the Eastern side of the Earth Kingdom.

But that peace didn't last when Avatar Wan was poisoned. He fell in deep sleep for decades. Some thought he was dead but he wasn't. Whoever did this they wanted a world without an Avatar.