10: Drowning

so I've said I'll be on a break, but it almost seems like I'm still following my usual update schedule haha so make sure you haven't missed chapters 8 and 9, alright? have a great week ahead, you lovely people

AND OH, PLS DON'T FORGET TO VOTE FOR BTS ON AAA AND MWAVE! GO GO GO!❞
— ✿ —

Sometimes you'd just suddenly have to take a hint that life wants to throw a brick at you.

If I had to count the times I had been sick throughout my entire existence, it would take me a while to remember since it didn't occur to me that much and I could barely recall the last time I had gotten a fever.

But of course, out of all days, it just had to be today.

I got caught in a dizzy spell when I pushed past the office door and had to grip on the doorknob for support. Dropping my gaze on the floor, I shut my eyes closed, fighting the throbbing threatening on my temples.

Exhaling deeply, I blinked myself back, pushing the deadweight off my body. To add up to that, my nerves felt like they weren't in the mood to move at all.

"Hey, hyung is waiting for you in the— whoa, are you okay?"

I lifted my gaze to see Jungkook. He tilted his head, examining my face.

"I'm alright," I said with an assuring look.

"You don't really seem fine." Jungkook traced a finger on my hairline and pushed the loose strands to the side. When he was done, he rested his palm on my forehead and crouched down a little. "And you're burning up."

"I'll be fine," I breathed out, literally feeling the warmth radiating through me. "Is he in the conference room?"

He nodded. "You need me there?"

"No, it's okay. Gotta face the horror myself as a consequence for yesterday's misfortune," I joked with a cheeky smile. "Thanks, Jungkook. I'll get inside now."

I entered the conference room, calculating my movements as not to trigger a bad nerve in my head. Jimin was on his usual seat on the round table, not taking his eyes off his laptop.

Lately, Chaerin had been leaving matters into Jimin's hand. I guess she was occupied with her wedding planning as well. Such a busy person.

"Good morning," I greeted for the sake of formality. I placed the folders on the table and searched for the updated file—the one that should have been passed yesterday.

Ah, there.

When I glanced back at Jimin, his gaze was already fixated on me. He had this hint of a hard look threatening to etch on his face—I could tell by the tiny squint on the corners of his eyes.

I cleared my throat and forced a small smile out. "Here's the updated budget proposal, Mr. Park."

"Let's go over the file so we could finalize it by the end of the day," he said with a stern voice. "Also, I'd like you to meet another business partner involved with the event."

Nodding, I sat on the seat adjacent to him and we began to discuss. My vision had blurred once, together with my head throbbing as I relayed the information. Luckily, it didn't interfere much and our conversation went smoothly. To save me further, Jimin wasn't in his usual snarky side.

Minutes later, we were interrupted with a knock on the door, and Jimin's assistant came in.

"Mr. Park, Mr. Choi is here."

There was an indescribable twist on my gut and I sat up straight to fight it. I suddenly felt like throwing up. I took the chance to slump my head on the desk for a few seconds whilst Jimin still had his attention elsewhere.

But when the next person entered the room, the twisting only worsened. Jimin stood up first, greeting him with a smile and a hand shake. They appeared to be close as they shared a friendly vibe between them.

Then he turned to me and my throat felt constricted as I inconspicuously gulped.

"Oh, Ms. Min Haneul," he greeted, mockery lacing every word, a smug smile crept to his face. "I see you're working again. I heard you took a break after you passed the project to Mr. Jeon Jungkook."

I knew what he was implying and I wanted to throw a chair at him. But considering the heavy weight on my body again, all I could think of was: Well, fuck you, Choi Dongsun.

Yet that didn't stop my fingers from trembling. I played on the hem of my blouse to calm them down. My insides shivered as I nodded stiffly.

"Yeah," I mumbled, but it came out more like I was just talking to myself as the room began to shrink in my mind.

I need to breathe.

Please go out.

Please leave.

Dongsun smirked with leering eyes never leaving mine and tilted his head sideways. He was practically snickering behind his gaze, and I caught the subtle shake on his shoulder from a minuscule wheeze of laughter. He held his hand out.

If he thought I was going to shake it, then he could jump off a cliff now. I kept my hands on my sides and absentmindedly glanced at Jimin through the corner of my eyes.

He raised a brow at me as if to ask me what the hell I was waiting for. I had an answer for that, though...

I was waiting for someone to take this guy away from my sight.

The door flew open, as if my prayers had been heard. Taehyung stood by the doorframe, his confused gaze met mine for a second, but when he surveyed the room, he figured right away.

"Excuse me, could I ask for Haneul?" His jaw clenched the slightest when he looked at Dongsun.

"But we're in the middle of an introduction..."

My eyes began to blur at this point. I couldn't take it anymore. So even without acknowledgement from anyone, I walked out. Taehyung stepped aside to freely give me way.

It all happened in a slow-mo; it made me feel like I was saving myself from drowning and I was desperate for air.

Behind Taehyung was Jungkook, and just by hearing him call me "noona" I could sense the worry in his voice.

I gave him an assuring squeeze on his shoulder and patted on it. "I'll be fine, Jungkook." I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I'm sorry. Just please take it from here."