9: His Heart

"Have you seen my pen?"

I blindly searched on the table, lifting folders and sheets of papers. A frustrated expression painted on my face.

"It's on your hand." Jungkook chuckled, pointing his index finger for emphasis.

I brought my hand in front of me and squinted my eyes incredulously at the said object before I started poking its tip on my forehead repeatedly for my silliness.

"You're so tense," Jungkook commented, scrunching his nose up and sported an adorable smile. "Chill."

"I got the wrong keychain instead of the one where my flash drive was attached to," I explained. "Now I have to finish this one quickly so I could head home and get it, and then drive back here."

Why did I even place it in my drawer?

Ugh, stop regretting and just get your work done, Haneul.

"What's the rush?"

"I was given a deadline with the budget plan," I whispered and pouted at him. "I just need to update it a little and have it printed. It's supposed to be passed today to be reviewed, and then we could finally close the deals with the respective people."

Jungkook patted the crown of my head and I pressed my palms to my face, heaving a sigh. Remembering that I didn't have time to cry, I slapped myself back to reality.

"Oh, and your phone has been flashing since earlier."

"Thanks," I mumbled, grabbing my phone from the table.

"Why is Joshua texting you again?"

Tearing my eyes away from the screen, I shot him a narrowed look. This kid.

"Nothing." I continued to type in a quick reply.

"Rekindling old relationships?" he surmised, trying to hide his smirk.

"That's not it," I hissed, trying to be quiet, whereas Jungkook didn't mind at all.

"Actually, I met him a few days ago. It was Hira's fault." I scrunched up my nose. "Well, he's a vocalist now. Heard they have a group. When Hira knew about it, she told Joshua that I'm working in a promotion company."

"So you might be working with him in the future?"

Before I could answer, there was a throaty cough coming from no other than Park Jimin, sitting from a good two chair distance away from us.

Right. I almost forgot that we were actually in the conference room. With him. And he might or might not have heard about my dilemma.

Why do we even have to work inside the conference room with seats for fourteen people, when it was only the three of us? We weren't even talking with each other. Well, aside from me and Jungkook. But it wasn't like we couldn't talk with each other back in our assigned office.

That aside, if he had heard, he'd totally rub it in my face and find a good insult or—

"Ms. Min Haneul," he started.

I lifted my head, an expectant expression etched on my face. There it goes. Whatever slips out of that mouth, don't let it get to you and just stay calm and save your energy.

He dropped his gaze back to his laptop, brows furrowing subtly. "You're gonna waste time with your plan. Save yourself from the trouble and just pass it to me tomorrow morning."

"Yes, sir," I droned out my prepared answered when he was done. Of course he'd tell me to just give it to him in the morning and...

"Wait, are you serious?" I almost stood up, my body just an inch on the edge of the seat. My hands rested on the table for support.

"Unless you want to drive back home now since fifteen minutes had already passed," he nonchalantly said.

"No, no." I frantically waved my hand. "I just... didn't expect that." The last words came off in a whisper as I leaned back on my seat.

Jungkook nudged me lightly on the elbow, and when I turned to him, he puckered his lips forward making a living meme out of himself.

"I don't know what you take me for Haneul, but just to remind you, I have a heart."

Jimin gave me a look, and I had the tiniest idea of what it meant. A side smirk was evident on his face which then turned into a wide grin when he saw my confusion.

I hope you finally disappear with your eyes someday.

Though for now, I should give him my gratitude since him being nice and considerate—finally acting professional—saved me big time.

"Thanks for your heart then," I mumbled loud enough for him to hear and decided it was time to lie-low.

I started typing again on my laptop, now with a collected demeanor, knowing that I didn't have to rush anything anymore.

But then a second later, it felt like I was the only one moving and the room had stilled, the humming of the air conditioner taking over together with the sound of my laptop keys clicking.

Cautiously, I lifted my head, eyes wandering around, avoiding to meet anyone's gaze at the same time.

Did I miss anything?

Jungkook suddenly cleared his throat, startling me. "Excuse me for a moment."

He took the silence as an affirmation and gave me a pat on the shoulder before he reached for the door. Brows furrowed, I observed his back until the door closed behind him with a soft click.

I frowned. I would have not minded, but the pat on my shoulder gave me a weird feeling, like Jungkook was trying to tell me something I didn't quite catch.

What's with men and their puzzling gestures?

Shrugging it off, I returned my attention back to my work. I bit my lower lip, slouching on my seat.

However, Jimin's stare was boring a drill on my forehead, and it was rather uncomfortable and really creeping me out. It wasn't helping with the consternation swimming on my stomach either.

Ignore him. Ignore him. Ignore him.

"What?" I questioned, somehow managing to conceal the annoyance in my tone.

Not the slightest emotion betraying his facial expression, he shook his head and went back with his papers. I narrowed my eyes at him momentarily, studying the stern look on his face, trying to get a hint or something.

Giving up, I sighed and simply minded my own business.

I didn't have any intentions of trying to decipher anything that had to do with Park Jimin anymore. I should know that well enough by now.

— ✿ —
I really can't find it in my heart to make you all wait too long for an update, so if you're wondering why I'm updating when I clearly left a note, then that's why haha