•40•

•Ryder's POV•

I walk down the hallway and stop when I see Claire studying some photos hanging on the wall. I slowly walk up to her and smile when I see the photo she's intently looking at.

"You were so worried about your hair that day, we couldn't leave until it was perfect." I say.

She jumps a little and steps back from the photo.

"Sorry," I apologise, "I Didn't mean to scare you."

She gives me a weak smile, "That's okay, I was snooping around."

I shake my head, "You're in that photo, I think you deserve to look at it."

She nods and looks back to it, "How old was I?"

"Eleven, I was ten. It was our first family photo with Finn in it." I reply, pointing to the five year old in Dad's arms.

"Josh is taking me out tonight." She says.

I smile, not only because I'm happy for her and Josh, but because I'm glad she's starting to open up to me.

"That's great, he'll take you somewhere speical." I reply.

She smiles back, "I'm glad Mara has you, she needs someone like you."

"She's pretty great." I reply.

"I just can't believe everything she does. I was trapped in that place for nearly two years and she was only there for a week, yet she still got out." She shakes her head.

I smirk, "She's a thinker."

She turns to me, "That's what I'm afraid of. Josh is the Beta of this Pack, I need to be strong and ready to take things on with Mara as the Beta's mate. Yet, my wolf has been trapped in a cage for so long and I can't remember any defensive moves."

"Then I'll teach you." I state.

"Really?" She asks.

I chuckle a little, "You're my sister, I'd do anything for you."

Her lips turn up a little, "I wish I could return the favour."

"You can, just by being here." I reply seriously.

She lets out a breath through her nose and nods, "Thanks Ryder."

"You know you can talk to me about anything." I reply.

She nods, "I know, it's just hard starting from scratch again."

I sigh, "We'll get there, I feel confident that things will start to come back."

She looks back at the photo, "I really hope so."

••••*••••

Mara laughs as she runs in front of me, turning every now and then to look at me.

The late afternoon sun casts a ray of sunshine on her face, making her blonde hair shimmer.

The grass under my feet crunches as I run after her, the field perfectly green and open.

"Come on Ryder!" She laughs.

"You're too fast!" I reply smiling.

She throws her head back and opens her arms out, spinning around and closing her eyes.

I come up to her and wrap my arms around her waist, tucking my head in the crook of her neck and breathing in her beautiful scent.

"Got you." I whisper in her ear.