•29•

•Mara's POV•

I stand up when I see him approaching, "Cam."

He inspects me, "Are you alone?"

I frown, "Of course I'm alone, do you think Ryder would be able to stand still if he were here right now?" I ask.

"True, but I don't know if I fully believe you." He replies.

I sigh, "Fine, but I want to know what you were talking about before. What did you mean by 'you will get her back'? Are you talking about Claire?" I ask.

He growls, "Right now, that's none of your business."

I hold my hands up, "Fine, what do you need?" I ask.

He lets out a breath and visibly relaxes a little, "I just need you to make sure none of Ryder and his friends get in my way. Can you manage that?" He asks.

I nod, "I'll do my best."

"I don't need you to do your best, I need you to prom-"

"Mara!" I hear Ryder in the distance.

Cam looks behind me and quickly looks back to me, "Just do you're best, whatever."

Then he runs behind a tree.

I turn around and see Ryder coming towards me.

"There you are, I've been looking everywhere for you." He frowns.

I shrug, "Sorry, just went for a walk."

"Were you talking to him again?" He asks.

"Him?" I reply.

"You know who I'm talking about Mara." He says sturnly.

"If you're referring to Cam, then no. Ryder, you already told me to stay away from him, I would never go behind your back, you know that." I say.

I sighs, "You're right, I'm just on edge. That guy shouldn't be anywhere near you." He frowns.

"He's gone, I'm sure of it." I reply.

"But how do you know?" He asks.

I shrug, "Mostly because he hasn't come to see me the last couple of days, but also because there hasn't been any rouge sightings or even that weird scent you usually smell."

He nods, "That's true."

I smile, "See all good."

I start to walk away, "Wait, did you just say 'he hasn't come to see me the last couple of days'?" He asks.

"Uh, um yes?" I reply, but it comes out more like a question.

"You mean that wasn't the first time you had a run in with him?" He raises his voice.

"Well, it depends on-"

"It's a yes or no answer Mara!" Ryder shouts, interrupting me.

I bow my head, "No, it wasn't."

Ryder growls, "I'm ashamed of you! You went behind my back! My own mate!"

"Calm down, it's not-"

"I'm not going to freaking calm down Mara! Do you not know how much I detest that guy!"

"Just hear me out for a second." I plead.

"No! Why should I? What have you been talking about with him?" He yells.

"Nothing." I reply quietly.

"Bull crap! How could you Mara?" He shakes his head and starts to walk off.