•4•

•Mara's POV•

The next day has, so far, passed without any sign of Ryder. Trent and I have just finished Sport and we are heading to the cafeteria.

"Hey Mara." Layla smiles and then greets Trent.

A few 'hey Mara's' go around and I take a seat next to Bailey. I notice Mandy isn't here.

Suddenly, Snow feels excited for some reason. I look around and turn to a smirking Ryder who takes a seat next to me.

"Why have you been turning up at lunch?" I question when he sits down.

"Stuff to do, people to see." He shrugs.

"Uh-huh." I nod and pierce my salad with my fork.

I went vegetarian when I was thirteen because Snow said she doesn't cope well with meat. I don't know if that's a tiger thing or just Snow.

You'd think with me having an inner tiger, I would love meat. But, that apparently isn't the case.

Bailey turns to me and tilts her head.

"What?" I ask.

"You have a certain scent on you." She says, narrowing her eyes.

I notice everyone visibly stiffen.

"Do you mean, like a perfume scent?" I ask, confused.

"Yeah, that's the one." She smiles.

With my tiger hearing, I hear everyone let out a held breath.

Okay then.

"So, do you use perfume?" She asks.

"Sometimes." I shrug.

"It smells like, the jungle or a rainforest or something." She says.

I put on a fake smile, "It's probably this one my mum got me ages ago. It didn't say what the scent was but it smelt nice." I lie.

'That's kind of weird for someone to say.' Snow says.

'I know. But then again, I have learned lots of weird things about these people.' I giggle.

'Too right.' Snow laughs.

"Are we missing something?" Josh asks, looking at me.

I realise I'm smiling from the conversation with Snow.

Crap, think of something.

"I was just thinking about how weird you all are." I blurt.

'Nice." Snow says sarcastically.

'Shut up.' I reply and zone her out.

They all look at each other and then smile.

"Yeah, but that's why you love us." Layla smiles.

"Hey guys!" Mandy comes to the table, waving something around. I looks like a page out of the newspaper or something.

"What's up?" Ryder asks, he hangs his arm around my shoulders. I can't help but think of how Josh used to do that, but for some reason it feels better when Ryder does it. Like it's more of a protective gesture than a friendly one.

"Check this out." She puts the page on the middle of the table. I read the headline.

'Monster Tiger: A Threat That Must Be Destroyed'

I gulp and tense, I think Ryder notices a little but he lets it go.

"Well go on, read the article." Trent says, they all seem very interested.