10 - Shady Mendes

*Shawn's POV*

I awoke with a raging headache from last night and a wave of guilt that was evident from the moment that I had opened my eyes. Squinting, I looked at the time on my phone. 11:27. That was an insane night. I rolled out of my bed and headed downstairs to see how bad the damage has been. Surprisingly, it wasn't as messy as I expected. Sure, it was still messy but not THAT bad. That made me feel slightly better even though I was still hungover as fuck.

I needed to text Aurora. Sleeping was so difficult knowing that a girl you care about a lot and her best friend, had walked home in the middle of the night in pitch darkness due to my stupidity. I should have driven them home. Whipping my phone from off the bedside table in my bedroom, I decided to text her.

-----

*Aurora's POV*

Ping.

Plunking myself onto my bed, I decided to take a break from studying seeing as my phone had just very politely told me that I have people who want to talk to me. Unlocking my phone, I see a text. Shawn.

Did you get home alright? - Shawn xx

Sighing, I tossed my phone onto my pillow. A snack sounded like a better idea than responding to his text. He was acting shady yesterday and I wasn't ready to talk to him about it. Getting up from my bed, I notice the present carefully wrapped in gift wrap from yesterday. Shawn. How I hadn't opened it yet was beyond me seeing as I'm normally the most impatient and curious person ever. Slowly, I approached the present. Curiosity had took over me and I couldn't help but wonder what he got me. The thing that he probably spent minutes, if not hours, pondering over whether I'd like it or not. The thing that he went out to the mall and got or maybe the thing that he grabbed from a room in his house that had sentimental value to him. I anxiously pulled the black ribbon that held the gift wrap over the present. The gift wrap unfolded to reveal the present.

Wow.

Wow.

Just wow.

I was in awe.

Wrapped inside was a chevron notebook with a purple spine. In gold calligraphy writing my name 'Aurora' was written on the cover. I opened up the personalised notebook to the first page and surprisingly, there was writing on it. The first line read "For Aurora" and then the lyrics of the song Shawn sang yesterday were written below. I couldn't breathe as I read it. Wow. I couldn't believe he wrote a song for me.

I turned to the next page.

Nothing.

Next page.

Nothing.

It seemed like the rest of the notebook was empty for me to write in.

I reached the middle page and to my surprise, there was a white envelope tucked inside.

"Probably a birthday card," I muttered to myself, my hands shaking as I carefully ripped open the envelope. Yep, a birthday card. I opened it up and something fluttered onto the floor before I got a chance to look at it. Ignoring it for a moment, I read the cute birthday wishes on the card before putting it down on the desk and crouching down to pick up the piece of paper that fell. As I read what it said, I almost lost my balance and fell over, it shocked me that much.

A plane ticket.

"Fuck," I mumbled even though I could literally scream it right now.

A plane ticket to Malibu.

Malibu, also known as the place where a school trip was occurring next month for a week, that Shawn was chaperoning. I mentioned that I wanted to go but it was way out of my budget ... I didn't expect this. What the heck.

I was stunned beyond belief.

-----

*Becca's POV*

"HE DID WHAT!?" I squealed to Aurora, who gasped and shushed me.

"Keep it down, we're in a public place," she giggled, gesturing to the Starbucks that we were sat in and the many people who were now staring at us.

"Sorry, initial reaction," I shrugged, acting nonchalant and sipping my frappuccino.

"So I guess we're going to Malibu together next month," Aurora grinned at me.

"With Shawn who I'm now going to call your sugar daddy," I teased. Her eyes widened before she kicked me under the table, making me burst out laughing. "I'm joking. Maybe."

It was so obvious that he had some kind of feelings for her. If it wasn't romantic feelings then it was a different kind of feelings. But clearly, he cared about her. A lot. Enough to make him want to spend over $500 to pay for the trip to Malibu. It was crazy but also SO romantic.

"I'm guessing the school doesn't know?" I quizzed.

She shrugged, "I guess not. It's not exactly the norm, is it?"

"Neither is babysitting for your teacher or him hosting you a party but your relationship is different," I admitted.

"I need to go thank him in person or something after this," Aurora stated.

"Why don't you just text him?" I suggested.

"Because ... texts are less personal. Plus, I've also been ignoring his texts asking me if I got home safe so I'd rather just talk to him in person and thank him there. Maybe then I'd also find out why he's been acting so shady."

I nodded. "And then obviously you'd tell me, right?"

"Maybe."

I gasped in mock horror. "Hey! What happened to no secrets between us?"

"I'm joking," she chuckled, "There will never be any secrets between us. I promise."