15 - Malibu Pt. 3

(A/N - Wow these creative chapter titles...)

*Aurora's POV*

Becca and I ended up lying on the sand for a couple of hours, talking amongst ourselves whilst trying to get tanned. The sun was starting to set, dipping behind hills to our left, signalling that it was about to turn to night soon. Even though it was starting to get dark, it was still SO hot. Most people had gone in by now as they were about to start making dinner.

"Hey, I think I might go see what they're making us for dinner," Rebecca announced, getting up from the sand. I nodded before putting my head down back onto my towel as she walked away. For a few minutes, I was lying alone until someone showed up to talk to me.

"You okay, Rora?" a voice said from behind me. A familiar voice that gave me flutters in my stomach whenever he said my name. Shawn.

"I'm fantastic, what about you?" I responded, lifting my head up from my towel and looking up at Shawn who was sat next to me on the sand.

"That sounded oddly sarcastic," he joked. "I'm doing great although I'm disappointed we didn't get to talk earlier."

"That's what happens when you have abs like that, Shawn. All the popular girls swarm you," I mumbled, sounding more bitter than I wanted to.

Shawn laughed. "But here I am, talking to you."

"It's an honour, Mr Mendes," I chuckled before looking out to sea. "It's not as if all the popular girls give me death glares already."

"They're jealous because Mr Football Jock complimented you," he stated, even though it was clearly obvious.

"Damn, the sea water is obviously starting to get to you because you sound salty as fuck," I giggled, looking back at Shawn who was actually starting to blush a bit.

"I'm not salty," he lied. "And anyway, your mum thinks I'm handsome so that's one woman I can go for if her daughter doesn't want me."

"Well I didn't deny your handsomeness," I grinned.

"I'm taking that as a compliment," he smiled, looking genuinely happy. We didn't speak for a few moments, both of us lying at the sand looking out at the sea. I'm sure that if we weren't on a school trip with a bunch of his students around us, he would have grabbed my hand or something but of course, he couldn't.

"I asked the hotel staff for the key to the roof top garden at the top of the hotel and surprisingly they gave it to me," Shawn said randomly.

"And? How was it?" I quizzed.

"Looked really nice during the daytime and I bet at night there are going to be so many stars out."

"That's good. If the teacher you're sharing a room with ends up snoring then you could go up there to sleep," I joked.

"Oh but the teachers have their own rooms," he smirked, raising his eyebrow slightly. I chuckled. There was constant flirty banter between us even though I was still his student however neither of us had talked about the infamous kiss which made me feel as if it was a one-off kind of thing. "I think we should go check it out after dinner," he suggested.

"What the whole class?"

"Nope, just you and me. I don't think they'd realise," he mumbled, playing with his fingers while he said it.

"I'm up for it," I smiled. Shawn looked back up at me and grinned. "Cool, I'll let  you know when the coast is clear and we can disappear for a bit," he winked. I shook my head laughing. He was a literal, loveable idiot.

-----

*Shawn's POV*

"That dinner was honestly something," I said to Mrs Parker, one of the teachers who was also chaperoning the trip. She nodded in response, her mouth filled with food. "I'm actually kind of tired so I think I'm going to head up to bed. Good night everybody," I said across the table to the whole of our group on this trip. Making eye contact with Aurora, I signalled that after 5 or 10 minutes she should come up too. She nodded, understanding the plan. "Good night," some of the students replied as I got up from my seat and headed upstairs via the stairs. The elevator didn't go up to the very top floor which made the roof top garden slightly more secretive as the only way up was by climbing many, many flights of stairs. I got up to the top and unlocked the door. The garden was honestly something else. Fairy lights were strung around banister and the gazebo which had one of those outdoor garden sofas and a small coffee table. I moved the sofa away from the gazebo so I could lie down on the sofa and look at the stars. As expected, there were thousands and thousands of them. Brighter than I had ever seen in Toronto. I felt oddly nervous even though there was nothing wrong with inviting a student to the roof top garden. Nothing was going to happen, we were simply going to hang out because we were already great friends.

A couple of minutes later, I heard the door open and Aurora entered the roof top garden.

"What'd ya think?" I asked, gesturing to the fairy lights around me.

"Wow..." she gasped, sounding speechless. "I was expecting a dank rooftop with some plants in the corner and not an actually nice roof top garden." I chuckled, "Same." Aurora walked over to where I was sitting and sat down next to me. God, she looked so beautiful. If she wasn't my student she would have long ago become my girlfriend but because of me being her teacher, I had to contain myself. I couldn't lead her on.

"So, Cody clearly has a thing for you," I mumbled with slightly gritted teeth even though I didn't plan on it coming out that way.

"Who wouldn't? I mean, look at me, I look like a fucking supermodel," she joked, giggling at her own joke. Fuck, how was she so cute?

"You do look really good today," I admitted, smiling slightly at her. What happened to me not trying to flirt with her?

"Thank you," she gushed, blushing slightly.

"Anyway," I said, clearing my throat, "we came here to look at the stars and here they are," I said, pointing up at the sky. She tilted her head back, looking up at them in awe, "They're beautiful."

Not as beautiful as you I wanted to say, even though it sounded cliché as fuck. "Here, lie down so you don't give yourself a neck cramp," I said, scooting over slightly on the sofa so that she could sprawl down on it.

"What if you get a neck cramp?" she muttered, her hair tickling my knee as she laid down. I shrugged, "I'll survive."

"We could chuck all these cushions on the floor and then there's gonna be enough space for the both of us?" she suggested, starting to throw the cushions off of the sofa before I even got a chance to reply. I nodded, hesitantly lying down next to her. There still wasn't that much space on the sofa but I didn't care. Our bare arms were touching each others we were lying that close to each other. We lay there in silence for a couple of minutes. My heart felt as if it was trying to beat its way out of my chest. I longed to put my arm round her, to kiss her, to cuddle her but I couldn't and it was actually starting to drive me insane. Aurora was something else. Nothing like any other girl at the school. She didn't try too hard and her personality shone without her having to put on any kind of act. Nothing like any other girl that I had dated. 

Fuck, this was going to be difficult.