3 - The Offer

*Aurora's POV*

I gulped. "... Yes?" I asked, turning to face my teacher. He waited until Tiffany left and shut the door which made me turn as red as a tomato.

"Aurora, the first day that I saw you was the day I fell in love ... with you," Shawn murmured, walking over to me and gently tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. "Mr Mendes I-"

"Please, call me Shawn," he whispered, smirking at me. He could tell I was nervous and he clearly loved it.

"Shawn... I ... I don't know what to say," I muttered, looking deeply into his brown eyes which were sparkling as he looked straight into my soul.

"Say that you love me, Aurora."

"I ... I ... I love you, Shawn," I whispered. He grinned, placing a hand on my cheek, slowly leaning in until we were millimetres apart. He moved in until our lips were touching and...

Mr Mendes coughed. "Anyway, you might be wondering why I asked you to stay behind." I blushed harder realising that he probably noticed that I had just zoned out. But what he probably didn't know that I was daydreaming about making out with him...

Okay, now I'm blushing even more. I nodded, trying to seem casual.

"That wasn't like you ... what I saw today. You're normally quiet. Reserved. I was shocked to hear you snap at Tiffany like that. Umm ... what I'm trying to say is ... are you okay? Does she bully you? Is there anything you want to talk to me about?"

My eyes widened and I couldn't help laugh, really loudly like a crazy person. Mr Mendes looked at me, confused. I realised how ridiculous I looked which made me laugh louder. Even Mr Mendes couldn't hold in his laughter and was smiling at me like a fool.

"I'll take that as an 'I'm Fine'?"

I nodded. "I'm okay. I can look after myself."

He gritted his teeth, wrapping his fingers around the edge of the table. I saw him clench them, the muscles in his arm tensing. "Honestly, Aurora. Please don't be scared to talk to me, okay?"

"Okay."

"Also..." Mr Mendes coughed. "All the teachers at this school know ... stuff. Basically what I'm saying is that they talk about ... students and their situations."

Oh God. I knew where this is going.

"My dad?" I asked. He nodded. "Exactly! The teachers have been talking about that and all of us know about your situation at home."

Oh great, I'm a pity case.

"And I know this isn't the most professional thing to say but ... the teachers have also been talking about your money problems. God, I hate saying this kind of stuff. It makes me feel so awkward. I'm sorry," Mr Mendes chuckled, covering his face.

I shrugged. "I guess I'm used to it now. Go on?"

He sighed, shaking his head before continuing. "Me and my friend are going to a hockey game on Sunday and my friend has a kid ... a 3 year old girl. They need someone to babysit for them and I know that you'd do great. What do you think?"

I thought for a moment. "I need to talk to my mum about it first."

He nodded. "Sure, sure. I'll give you my phone number, okay? You can call me once you've decided otherwise we'll have to find someone else."

"Cool," I smiled, watching him neatly write his phone number on a yellow post-it note. There were butterflies in my stomach. Wow ... I'm getting the most gorgeous teacher's personal phone number. I couldn't help but grin but I had to contain myself as he turned around to hand me it. I reached out to grab it, my hand shaking. My fingers took hold of the paper but clumsily I let go of it and it delicately fell to the floor. I quickly bent down to pick it up but at the same time so did Mr Mendes. My fingertips brushed his hand as I lent down to get it first. I straightened, the post-it note in my hand. "Thanks," I whispered as Mr Mendes also stood up.

"No worries. That's all, Aurora. Take care and have a good weekend," Mr Mendes smiled.

"I will. And I ... I'll call you," I murmured, turning around quickly to hide my grin as I said that. Quickly, I left the room, shutting the door behind me. There was a strange sense of happiness as I left school that evening. The kind of giddiness you'd feel when your crush messaged you on SnapChat.

But this was my teacher.

-----

"Hey mum!" I yelled as I entered the house, shutting the door behind me and locking it. I took off my black Converse and stepped into the kitchen where my mother was still sat over some bills. It was almost as if she hasn't moved all day.

"Mum?"

She sat up. "Oh sorry hunny, I didn't hear you. How was school?" she asked, a faint smile on her face as she tried to make herself seem stronger, at least for my sake.

"It was good, how was work?" I responded, grabbing a glass from the kitchen cupboard and some orange juice from the fridge.

"The usual," she sighed. That meant alright but not enough to pay all the bills. And by the time we've saved up enough to pay the current bills, new ones will arrive. The same, never-ending cycle.

"I actually got a job proposition today..." I said, smiling to myself as I poured myself some OJ.

"From who?" she asked, clearly intrigued.

I took a sip of my drink before sitting down at the teacher and responding, "My English literature teacher."

She smiled. "That's good, hun! Did he ask you to tutor some of your classmates or what?"

I shook my head. "He asked me if I was free to babysit his friend's daughter on Sunday."

She looked at me with a weird look on her face. "That's a bit weird, don't you think?" she asked.

"The teachers have been gossiping about us at school which is how he found out and he said he couldn't find anyone else," I shrugged.

"It's your call, Rora. But be careful, okay?" she warned me. I nodded.

"I don't know... One part of me is saying yes - we could use the money and it could help with the bills and stuff but the other part is a bit unsure ... It's weird, I agree. It's weird seeing a teacher out of school hours."

She took a sip of her coffee. "It's your choice, Rora. I can't force you to say yes but at the same time I'm not going to refuse when we're strapped for cash and I know you want some money for yourself to spend on girly things."

I smiled. "Thanks mum... I think I'll do it."

"I'll be at work anyway so it's better than you staying at home alone, right?"

"Right."

Now all that was left to do was call him.