6 - Routine

*Aurora's POV*

"Which way do I turn now?" Shawn asks, sounding confused.

"Uhh... left," I respond rather awkwardly. I still wasn't used to the idea of being in the same car as Shawn. Or babysitting for him. In a way, it seemed kind of wrong that we were getting so close. I mean, he was my teacher and although what we're doing was completely innocent, it still seemed like we were crossing some imaginary boundaries.

Shawn turned the steering wheel left and drove onto my road. It was pitch black outside except for some weak shining lamp posts that illuminated a small part of the pavement beneath them. "It's this one," I whisper softly, seeing the silhouette of my house to my right. He nodded and drove onto my driveway. My mother's car still wasn't there so I knew that she was still working. She works so hard to ensure that I'm just like any other kid at school because she knows how differences between people makes them stand out. And in high school, that's not a good thing. I wish I could do more to help her out.

I smiled, "Thanks for the ride. And the job."

"It's no problem. I have your number saved on my phone now so I'll text you," Shawn grinned.

I must have had a confused expression on my face after he said that he'll text me because straight after he shook his head and started laughing. "No, not in that way. I meant in case I ever need you to babysit again I'll text you, if that's alright with you?"

I chuckled under my breath at how foolish I must have looked. "Yeah, yeah. Obviously it's fine," I murmured, the sides of my mouth turning upwards as I couldn't help but smile.

"Here's your money. There's a bit more than we agreed on seeing as I made you work overtime," Shawn said, handing me $70.

My eyes widened. "No way, Shawn. We agreed on $40. That's way too much!" I protested, trying to give him back the $30 but he pushed it back into my hand.

"Aurora, stop. It's only fair that I pay you more. And well, if you refuse to take it then after you get inside your house, I'll put it in the mailbox so either way you'll have to take it," he argued.

I sighed. "Fineeeee."

Shawn chuckled before silence broke out in the car. After a few moments he spoke looking me straight in the eyes. "Do you want me to walk you to your front door?"

I shook my head politely.

Shawn smiled slightly, maintaining the eye contact. He took a deep breath as if he wanted to say something else.

"So... umm.." Shawn began speaking before shaking his head. "I'll see you on Monday," He said, showing off that amazing smile again. Part of me thought that he wanted to say something else but clearly, he stopped himself. I nodded. "Thanks Shawn, bye," I said giving him a small wave before getting out of the car and shutting the door behind me. I walked up to my front door and took my keys out of my pocket. I looked over my shoulder and saw that Shawn was still in his car on my driveway, watching me intensely. I put the key in the frozen lock and wiggled it around for about 20 seconds before it finally opened. I looked over my shoulder again and he was still there but this time he smiled at me when he saw that I entered my house safely. Waving, he started reversing out of my driveway and as soon as he was out of sight, I shut the door.

Wow... that was a weird evening.

However, there were still numerous thoughts in my head.

When he held my hand, was that serious or was that because my hands were actually freezing cold and he was being polite?

Why did he look so flustered after he came back from the hockey game? His hair was messy, his cheeks were bright red and he looked genuinely quite pleased with himself.

Are him and Lauren dating?

Is it wrong that I'm babysitting for Shawn?

Is it wrong that I call him Shawn instead of Mr Mendes?

-----

Over the next few weeks, we sunk into a routine. Every Saturday I would babysit his friend's child. If it wasn't Lauren's child, it was someone else's. I quickly became acquainted with most of his friends and they treated me like a normal adult, not a 17 year old who's English Literature teacher is the man they're friends with. And then during the week, I would obviously see Shawn at school but instead of calling him Shawn, he was Mr Mendes. It was almost as if he had a Jekyll and Hyde act going on. During the week, he was Jekyll or Mr Mendes as I call him, the responsible, strict teacher. Then on Saturdays, he was Hyde or better known as Shawn, the fun, easy-going man who I would consider my friend as well as 'employer' in a way. It was a routine that I enjoyed however I wished that he could be Hyde more often...

(A/N - Short little filler topic seeing as I haven't updated in a while. I have exams going on at the moment but I wanted to give you guys a chapter. Until next time!)