33 - The Grand Gesture

*Shawn's POV*

Thankfully, the restaurant gladly didn't mind the grand gesture I was planning for Aurora in order to apologise and allowed me to prepare before the restaurant's opening time. I reserved a table for 4 directly in front of the stage where I would be performing later and placed a bouquet of red roses and a bouquet of white violets on the table directly where Aurora would be sat. Red roses obviously symbolise love whilst white violets symbolise taking a chance on happiness so they both seemed appropriate. I placed a gift box with a gift inside on the table too before making sure that the guitar I would be using today was correctly tuned. Once all that was done, it was finally time for me to look presentable.

-----

*Becca's POV*

"Where should we go eat today?" I asked Aurora as we returned to our hotel room to get ready for dinner.

She shrugged. This was actually starting to get on my nerves. She normally had something to say about anything and everything but now she was acting so indecisive. Maybe if she gets back with Shawn then she will be her old self?

"Well, I saw this cute little restaurant near our hotel and from what I saw online, the reviews were good so we should go there," I suggested.

"Okay, that's fine by me. Will Geoff be there?" she asked.

I nodded. "I don't think Shawn will though... I dunno," I lied. "Either way, to go with our nice manicure and pedicure, we need to dress up kinda nice right? Because who knows, someone hot could be there."

Aurora chuckled. "Good point," she said before rummaging through her suitcase and picking out an off-the-shoulder black mesh top, a pair of distressed jeans, a light washed denim jacket and some black heels. I was glad that she was making an effort. I went for a black halter-neck top, some black high-waisted skinny jeans and black Nike trainers. All that was left to do was our make-up before we were ready to go.

-----

*Aurora's POV*

As we entered the restaurant, warm air hit our face from the massive fireplace in one corner. It was so cozy and casual inside with black leather seats and wooden tables.

"Hi, we have a reservation," Becca said to the host.

"Under what name?" the host asked.

"Uhh... Mendes," she coughed. I raised an eyebrow.

Why was the reservation under his name? I thought to myself.

"This way, please," the host said once he found the name on his list. I hesitantly followed him and Becca although I was really unsure about the situation at this point. As we reached the table, I noticed that it was covered in ... something. Items of some sort. As we got closer I realised what it was.

Flowers.

And that was when it clicked in my brain. Shawn has a plan.

"Becca, I can't do this," I choke out, ready to leave there and then.

Becca looked at me pleadingly. "Aurora, just sit down, please," she begged as she grabbed my arm and dragged me closer to the table.

"I really can't do this," I whispered, feeling tears prickling in my eyes.

"Aurora, everything will be fine, just sit," Becca responded, pushing me down so that I was forced to sit on the leather chair against my will. She sat next to me, still with a strong hold on my arm because she knew that I wanted to run. To be honest, I was shocked by everything on the table. Roses, white violets, something in a gift box. I was intrigued but also confused.

*Shawn's POV*

I peered through the curtains and saw that Aurora was sat down with a miserable expression on her face. Fuck, she still looked beautiful.

"Shawn, it's time," Geoff said, glancing down at his watch. 6pm on the dot. "Good luck, man," he whispered as he handed me my guitar. I flashed him a quick smile before heading on stage and that was the moment I saw Aurora's jaw drop. She turned to Becca, looking frantic. Yep, she wanted to leave but thankfully Becca was holding onto her.

Nervously, I sat down on the stool they had put out for me and grabbed a guitar pick. I had a quick look around to make sure that Sandra wasn't here. And she wasn't. Perfect. Clearing my throat, I began to speak.

"Hi everyone, my name is Shawn Mendes and today I'm going to play an original song called 'Roses'. I'm dedicating this song to my beautiful girlfriend who I hurt and genuinely regret so much. So I guess in a way this is my apology to her. Aurora, I'm so so sorry and I really hope that you like the song," I said, my voice wavering slightly. I began to strum the guitar strings before beginning to sing.

"It's not that I'm afraid I'm not enough for her
It's not that I can't find the words to say
But when she's with him, she seems happier
And I don't want to take that away

How many times can I see your face?
How many times will you walk away?
I just have to let you know

I'm not try'na start a fire, with this flame
But I'm worried that your heart might feel the same
And I have to be honest with you baby
Tell me If I'm wrong, and this is crazy
But I got you this rose
And I need to know
Will you let it die or let it grow?
Die or let it go?

It's not that I don't care about the love you have
It's not that I don't want to see you smile
But there's no way that he can feel the same
'Cause when I think of you my mind goes wild

How many times can I see your face?
How many times will you walk away?
I just have to let you know

I'm not try'na start a fire, with this flame
But I'm worried that your heart might feel the same
And I have to be honest with you baby
Tell me If I'm wrong, and this is crazy
But I got you this rose
And I need to know
Will you let it die or let it grow?

You can tell me to stop, if you already know
Though I'm not sure my heart can take it
But the look on your face says, don't let me go

I'm not try'na start a fire, with this flame
But I'm worried that your heart might feel the same
And I have to be honest with you baby
Tell me if I'm wrong, and this is crazy
But I got you this rose
And I need to know
Will you let it die or let it go?
I'm not tryna start a fire, with this flame (with this flame)
But I'm worried that your heart might feel the same
And I have to be honest with you baby
Tell me If I'm wrong, and this is crazy
But I got you this rose
And I need to know
Will you let it die or let it grow?"

I finished strumming the guitar before opening my eyes to see her reaction. She seemed ... stunned? I got up from my stool, putting the guitar down on its stand before walking over to our table. She didn't say anything but simply watched me approach.

"Open the gift," I whispered to her. She obeyed and slowly lifted up the lid of the gift box. Inside, was a silver necklace with a silver rose pendant. I held my breath as I watched her observe it. She could either throw it in my face or throw herself into my arms. The latter would be preferred. After a moment, she looked up at me without saying anything. I looked her straight in the eyes. "I'm truly so so sorry, Aurora, for what seemed like leading you on because that genuinely wasn't the point. You know about my past and what I did for money and honestly, sex just became meaningless for me and I didn't want to do that to you because it would have been your first time and fuck, it should be special. Hence, I wanted to wait. I'm sorry for not telling you all this earlier but I honestly didn't want to hurt you and in trying to do that, it seems like I hurt you more. But I really don't want to lose you, Aurora because I actually love you so much so once again, I'm so sorry," I told her.

Her face crumpled as a tear escaped her eye. Never in my life have I felt so guilty. Suddenly, she got up from her chair and wrapped her arms around my neck, burrowing her face into my shirt. "I forgive you and I'm sorry for overreacting," she murmured, "I love you so much, Shawn." I held her in a tight embrace, a huge smile forming on my face as I realised that the girl I loved so much was still mine.