30 - Open Mic Night

(A/N - My longest chapter yet with 2220 words, make sure to vote on it guys!)

*Aurora's POV*

After a long day of skiing and surprisingly no injuries, it was finally time to get ready for the open mic night.

Sensing that he was nervous, I said to him "Shawn, you don't have to do it if you don't want to," whilst applying my make-up at the same time.

"If I don't do it now, then when will I ever?" he questioned, putting on a black short-sleeved shirt that was patterned with leaves at the same time as we spoke.

I looked at him in the mirror, his abs still on show. Biting my lip, I looked away back at my own reflection to finish doing up my winged eyeliner. "There's plenty of opportunities to take part, Shawn. I mean, if you're scared now then maybe you'd feel more comfortable in our home town with your own guitar?"

He shook his head, buttoning up his shirt. "I feel like that would be worse, you know? Anyone from school could show up at an open mic night in Pickering or Toronto whilst here it's just going to be you... And I feel comfortable enough around you to sing."

"Aw, Shawn," I gushed, unable to hide the massive grin on my face. I turned around and walked to where he was standing so that I was directly in front of him. "I mean, even if you flop you're good looking enough that people won't give a shit," I replied, half jokingly but half not.

Shawn laughed. "Why thank you. And even with your one eye with eyeliner on and the other one not, you still look beautiful."

"Yeah, I need to fix that," I giggled before grabbing him by the collar and spontaneously pulling him in for a kiss. Shawn was clearly shocked by it but didn't pull away and kissed me back. Even though it wasn't a short kiss, it wasn't just an ordinary kiss but showed signs of passion and longing. I pulled away after a few seconds to Shawn's disappointment. "Sorry, don't want to ruin my make up with an impromptu make out sesh."

"Aw, but it calmed the nerves for a moment," Shawn responded, winking at me.

I chuckled, shaking my head. "Sorry Shawn, but no chance."

-----

"Next up, we're lucky to introduce someone who has never sung on our stage before. He's going to sing an original song and I know that you guys will love it. I present to you, Mr Shawn Mendes from Pickering, Ontario!" the host announced before dozens of claps and cheers erupted from the crowd.

"Aurora, I don't know whether I can do this," Shawn whispered to me backstage.

"Shawn, I know you can. You'll smash it," I responded, kissing him one last time on the lips. "Now go! The crowd is waiting for you and I'll be waiting right here when you come back off stage."

Nervously, he smiled at me before taking the guitar he borrowed for the evening and walked out on stage. He stood in front of the microphone and strum a few guitar sings before speaking.

*Shawn's POV*

"Hi everyone ... I'm Shawn. A-And today I'm going to sing a song that I wrote called 'There's Nothing Holding Me Back' ... I hope you enjoy!" I anxiously said through the microphone to the attentive crowd. Thankfully, the crowd seemed kind and no one was talking as they waited for me to begin singing so honestly, it made the whole experience a lot easier. I don't feel like anyone was expecting me to be a good singer or performer by how nervous I was but the second I started energetically playing the opening chords to 'There's Nothing Holding Me Back' I could see people's eyes widening as they sat up to listen more carefully.

"I wanna follow where she goes
I think about her and she knows it
I wanna let her take control
'Cause everytime that she gets close, yeah